Reflective paint / covering for exterior walls Reflective paint / covering for exterior walls
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Super poster

Default Reflective paint / covering for exterior walls

Granted we don't have many hot days like the past two (but who knows in the future?) my house gets the sun/heat in the morning as it faces east and then all of the afternoon in evening, which is lovely for the garden but my house just absorbs all that heat.

I would love to be able to use pop up solar panels, that I could use at the front, then wheel then into back garden in afternoon. I'm certain it would pay for my leccy bill for the year!

Anywho has anyone done this, painted their house exterior to reflect the sun? Did it work?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Richer than sasguru

Is your house red brick? Is it rendered and already painted?

I think in many places there are planning requirements if you change the finish of your house (known as street scene), especially if you live in a street with similar houses or in any kind of area of outstanding beauty (this does not apply anywhere in Swindon )

You have to think of what this is going to look like, will it fit in with the surroundings, will it put of prospective buyers...
    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Is your house red brick? Is it rendered and already painted?

I think in many places there are planning requirements if you change the finish of your house (known as street scene), especially if you live in a street with similar houses or in any kind of area of outstanding beauty (this does not apply anywhere in Swindon )

You have to think of what this is going to look like, will it fit in with the surroundings, will it put of prospective buyers...
    I am aware of that as when I first moved into current house we looked at putting an extension on top of garage, however when speaking to architect I said I preferred a hipped roof as otherwise it looked like a lego brick plonked on it.

Lo and behold when submitted to coucnil they said no to hipped roof as it "wasn't in keeping with other houses." Which was complete bollox as over the road are flats and other side are houses of diff design. I would have pushed it if we had gone ahead with extension.

Cheers

qh

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by quackhandle View Post
    I would love to be able to use pop up solar panels, that I could use at the front, then wheel then into back garden in afternoon. I'm certain it would pay for my leccy bill for the year!
    You what? That's just madness.
    Last edited by wattaj; 26th June 2020 at 14:20. Reason: Speillng.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by wattaj View Post
    You what? Thanks just madness.
    I have been waiting for Elon Musk to invent them, but he keeps messing about with space rockets apparently.

qh

Fingers like lightning

Is it a new build or something with more traditional building materials, like lime mortar?

By design the Victorian lime pointed/rendered houses need to "breath" otherwise you might get damp/condensation issues inside.

If it is a old build, go with a traditional white wash which is breathable - Limewash | Traditional Limewash by Mike Wye | Natural, Breathable Paint

Richer than sasguru

In the winter I'm glad of the solar radiation being soaked up and saving on the heating bills.

So be honest, we get like 5 warm days a year, is it really a problem?

To me it's not warm unless it's over 40 deg c anyway....
    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.