• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do sites ask me about cookies every time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do sites ask me about cookies every time?

It seems ironic that many websites ask me to accept cookies, then don't store that information. Isn't there a way for websites to store information about my preferences...?!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Do you clear cookies on closing your browser? I used to have that set but it got too annoying.

Alternatively, if it's not a site you visit regularly, it could be that the session has expired requiring a new cookie to be set.

Or, the site could be very literally implementing the EU regs and asking visitors to confirm settings every time they visit with the setting cleared when the site is exited.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Isn't there a way for websites to store information about my preferences...?!
      I think there is, but they have to ask you first.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        I think there is, but they have to ask you first.
        That sounds like a never ending circle!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Do you clear cookies on closing your browser? I used to have that set but it got too annoying.

Alternatively, if it's not a site you visit regularly, it could be that the session has expired requiring a new cookie to be set.

Or, the site could be very literally implementing the EU regs and asking visitors to confirm settings every time they visit with the setting cleared when the site is exited.
          It's sites I visit at least once a week often nearly every day. Like The Register. Maybe they set the cookie to expire after a few days...

With so many sites now wanting me to look at a veritable control panel of cookie settings, I really don't want to have to keep doing it. I'll just end up "accept all" out of weariness.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's one of those EU imposed rules to make lives better.

The idea is that people on one hand will exercise more movement when having to close these windows all the time. It's one of the vectors of tackling obesity (hence the "cookies").

Another idea behind it, is that these message with time will make people stop noticing them. People click "accept" automatically, without even acknowledging there was any button on the screen. Now, at one point in the future the message about "cookies" will be replaced with something like "by clicking accept you consent to transfer half of your assets to the state" or "by clicking accept you will donate all your land to Brussels".

Comment

It will probably be the iframes the adverts are on setting the cookies so you won't see the cookie under the top domain.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's sites I visit at least once a week often nearly every day. Like The Register. Maybe they set the cookie to expire after a few days...

With so many sites now wanting me to look at a veritable control panel of cookie settings, I really don't want to have to keep doing it. I'll just end up "accept all" out of weariness.
                And that's the explanation: if you tell them you don't want their tracking cookies, they just ask you again a few days later in the hope that you'll get fed up and accept all their crap

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  And that's the explanation: if you tell them you don't want their tracking cookies, they just ask you again a few days later in the hope that you'll get fed up and accept all their crap
                  And probably track anyway just using different means...

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    And probably track anyway just using different means...
                    I was watching the latest QI last night and they covered why a robot can't tick the "I'm not a robot" box you see pop up.

Apparently, when you tick that box, there is an algorithm that scans through everything you've done in your journey to get to that point to see if it's human-like or not - right down to how you moved your mouse on the page . Basically, ticking that box means "go, on, have a good rummage"

Comment

Working...
                    X