• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flutter / React / Angular?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Blazor - which version?

The Future of Client-Side Blazor: PWAs, Desktop/Mobile, Native (and even Flutter?) -- Visual Studio Magazine

Blazor PWA (aka Blazor WASM aka Blazor client-side)
    Blazor server-side (not mentioned in the above article but it was the first path to reach production ready status)
    Blazor Hybrid
    Blazor Desktop
    Blazor Native
    Blazor Flutter

Then will you target .Net Standard or .Net Core (soon to be known as .Net 5 which is not the next version of .Net Framework 4)?

Then will you use Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code (totally different products)?

Seems Microsoft can't help themselves when it comes to branding bloat and all the confusion that brings. Hence many will stick with the snakepit of Javascript/Typescript instead of being tempted to crawl into Microsoft's very own.

Choose your pit and always keep one eye on the ladder back out.
    Oh you cynic!

Blazor was stated somewhat tongue in cheek. As gnarledcontractor said, just look at Silverlight. Hell, you only have to look at WPF and the will they/won't they drop it in favour of UWP to know that the Microsoft is far from perfect.

I still don't really get the hype surrounding Visual Studio Code. Ultimately it's just a glorified text editor and not a fully featured IDE. It depends on what your requirement is but branding it under Visual Studio was daft.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      I still don't really get the hype surrounding Visual Studio Code. Ultimately it's just a glorified text editor and not a fully featured IDE. It depends on what your requirement is but branding it under Visual Studio was daft.
      Visual NotePad++ would have been a better name

Comment

If considering Flutter then Microsoft are evolving their current Xamarin alternative to something called .NET MAUI.

Introducing .NET Multi-platform App UI | .NET Blog

The comments are interesting for people's feedback on how this fits in with other options and stacks up against Flutter etc.

So if they continue down this path they will have MAUI for cross device native applications and Blazor for web applications.

Interestingly Mozilla and others are working on making WebAssembly run outside the web (using WASI - web assembly system interface) to become a docker style VM for apps, so there is an interesting battle ahead for 'develop once run anywhere' apps based on either native UI or web UI, or both if using Blazor Hybrid. With WebAssembly there are already Rust and other non-Javascript based languages being used along with C# based Blazor, so plenty to choose from.

Whatever the choice it seems all the big players are moving away from Javascript, finally.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Might be worth looking at Ionic as well. Initially Angular based, they're now in Beta for Vue, which I think will make it much more popular. I'm already seeing an increase in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Christ alive, didn't that old crap die a death a decade ago....hopefully it did.
            Working on Java only infrequently, every time I do I find all the frameworks I know have been tossed in the bin in favour of something else. I tend to just not use them if I can avoid it, it takes longer to learn the framework than to do the work!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Languages seem to go obsolete in 6 months these days. Might be better to switch back to COBOL.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                Might be worth looking at Ionic as well. Initially Angular based, they're now in Beta for Vue, which I think will make it much more popular. I'm already seeing an increase in demand.
                Ionic is definitely not a good choice in terms of performance. I have moved away from Cordova web view purely for performance reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  ...Whatever the choice it seems all the big players are moving away from Javascript, finally.
                  That's interesting. On one hand languages supported on Cloud (Serverless to be specific) includes javascript and python as a must have, whereas they are moving away from javascript on the web front. Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Working on Java only infrequently, every time I do I find all the frameworks I know have been tossed in the bin in favour of something else. I tend to just not use them if I can avoid it, it takes longer to learn the framework than to do the work!
                    The release cycle is killing me. It's like switching from 20 years benzodiazepine addiction to David Bowie levels of cocaine abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                      after 18 years of coding java in eclipse I switched to VSC last year.

It's tulip but they definitely are improving it. Eclipse was like 3rd round chemotherapy.

Comment

Working...
                      X