• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Windows Update Woes - printer not working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Windows Update Woes - printer not working

I’ve mentioned in another thread the problems I’m having downloading bank statements which I suspect is related with the latest June 2020 update.

Well, now my hp printer has stopped working and it seems I am not alone.

Looking at my system info it tells me the driver isn’t installed (it was) so I’ve been to the hp site and run through their solutions which involves downloading endless diagnostic tools. Basic upshot is I need to reinstall the driver as per their instructions but what happens is it just hangs on the screen that says Installing Software and eventually times out. Printer is visible on the network as I selected it from a list in the install wizard as the target device.

I really am at a loss with this one

I assume you've tried an uninstall of the printer in Device Manager followed by a search for new hardware...? That will reload the current driver correctly.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      I assume you've tried an uninstall of the printer in Device Manager followed by a search for new hardware...? That will reload the current driver correctly.
      It’s not there now as I did a complete uninstall as per HP’s instructions

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
        It’s not there now as I did a complete uninstall as per HP’s instructions
        So leave it connected and try a new devices search from Device Manager.

HP's instructions have proved to be somewhat unreliable and overcomplex over the years.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Quality trolling. Very inneresting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I’ve given up with my HP printer. The colour cartridge is empty but it’s saying ‘incompatible cartridge’ and the subscription won’t send me a new one till I ‘fix’ it.

If I need another one I’ll get a Brother Laser printer.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I’ve given up with my HP printer. The colour cartridge is empty but it’s saying ‘incompatible cartridge’ and the subscription won’t send me a new one till I ‘fix’ it.

If I need another one I’ll get a Brother Laser printer.
              To be fair, I paid less than £100 and it’s been going strong for 5 years now. Before that I had a Canon pixma which I paid several hundred for & one year later the printer head had gone & it wasn’t worth repairing.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                So leave it connected and try a new devices search from Device Manager.

HP's instructions have proved to be somewhat unreliable and overcomplex over the years.
                Yes, will connect it via usb and try this.

Comment

You don't say what printer it is, assuming also it's USB, I would try bypassing HP install and going via control panel/printers add printer and manually point it to a universal hp driver.

Comment

I had a HP printer and it was nearly impossible to get it working by just installing the drivers, had to install all the other crappy software that came with it.

So, have you tried installing or reinstalling all the other crappy HP software?
                    Last edited by woohoo; 5 August 2020, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X