• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary fibre internet outages several times a day - normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, if you won’t reboot, I can’t help.
    I never knew you worked in a call centre.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I never knew you worked in a call centre.
      Everyone that "works in IT" and has a partner, or parent(s) is a call centre.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Because I own more than one device
        That didn't answer the "how" part though, did it? Its very possible for multiple devices to have an issue and the issue to be within your network. Have the ISP confirmed the issue is between them and your router?
        Last edited by Paralytic; 11 August 2020, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          We're on Virgin cable (350/30) and see the same thing. Much more noticeable when you wfh. I asked a Virgin engineer once abut it and he said sometimes they push out new router configs that can cause the router to reboot but some days ours went down 4 or 5 times a day. then we'd go months without it happening at all.

They never show as faults on Virgin.

Doesn't help much I know but at least you're not alone eh ?
          Yep, exactly the same with Virgin on the same service.

It's particularly been a pain since they swapped our router several times when they moved to the Super Hub 3 about 2 years ago.

Comment

PlusNet, cable direct to router (engineer checked and replaced the socket) then CAT6. But this isn't an issue with my computer alone, all devices wired and WiFi.

Why would I turn my computer off? Then I have to waste time restarting it!
            We're with PlusNet (40/10 FTTC) and I WFH using RDP all the time, and we never encounter this sort of problem. Although my PC is turned off every night the router (Netgear D6400) stays powered up for other devices.

If you haven't already I'd raise a ticket with PlusNet, IME they're pretty good at tech problems (although not as good as they were before BT bought them and they had a massive publicity drive).

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Yep, exactly the same with Virgin on the same service.

It's particularly been a pain since they swapped our router several times when they moved to the Super Hub 3 about 2 years ago.
              Fork out the extra for Virgin Business broadband and those updates are pushed in the middle of the night with 2 weeks prior notice...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If your PC is on 24/7 you can run ping and pipe the output to a logfile. I recall either myself or someone else posting a quick script for this on this forum a while back.

You need to get the evidence and send it to your ISP when you log a case.

I had a similar probem with my FTTP connection and it turned out I had a dodgy wifi router. Quick replace by the engineer and problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  You need to get the evidence and send it to your ISP when you log a case.
                  Not strictly true with PlusNet, they'll open a case without it but it wouldn't hurt for if they come back and say everything's fine

Comment

If it helps, I have Plusnet for ADSL and I've noticed that my internet regularly drops out for a second or so every once in a while.

It might be worth checking the power saving settings for the network connection (?!!) , apparently windows wants to put it to sleep if not used sometimes. It's the final tab on the properties window. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
                      Not strictly true with PlusNet, they'll open a case without it but it wouldn't hurt for if they come back and say everything's fine
                      I've found them fair disinterested which is why I thought gathering evidence would help me push them to respond properly.

I can't easily prove it is not an issue with my router/modem - it reports no connection but of course that could be a firmware glitch or whatever. I figured if I have logs then PlusNet can corroborate them against theirs - but hence my question do they have such logs for every household's connectivity?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X