• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary fibre internet outages several times a day - normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary fibre internet outages several times a day - normal?

We have fibre internet (30/8Mbit ish) in our rural village. I've just fine with the speed but at least once a day, more like 2-3 times, we lose internet for approx 30s. Normally one wouldn't even notice - streaming caches for example - but I work over RDP so if it happens while I'm working it's quite obvious.

Is this the sort of thing that is part and parcel of normal home internet and people never even realise, or is it worth pushing my ISP? Every now and then we get a longer outage, multiple minutes or longer, but that's much rarer.

I can never find any record of the ISP showing any faults, is there any way of finding out if these issues are logged anywhere? e.g. would my ISP even be aware of it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

We're on Virgin cable (350/30) and see the same thing. Much more noticeable when you wfh. I asked a Virgin engineer once abut it and he said sometimes they push out new router configs that can cause the router to reboot but some days ours went down 4 or 5 times a day. then we'd go months without it happening at all.

They never show as faults on Virgin.

Doesn't help much I know but at least you're not alone eh ?
    Last edited by radish2008; 5 August 2020, 12:29. Reason: added a bit more ..

Comment

I'm with Zen Internet, out in the semi sticks and I'm getting pretty fast speeds. I rarely see any issues with disconnections.

My old/old router recommended you set it to restart once a week out of hours, just mentioning in case you have a dodgy router rather than it being the line itself.

Comment

Given my PC runs 24/7, (actually a Mac) is there any very simple app that would log outages without disrupting anything... not sure if you can just ping someone releentlessly without them getting upset

Comment

How have you confirmed it is actually an outage between your ISP and your router, and not an outage between your router and your machine (presumably over WiFi)?

Comment

What router do you have as you can sometimes check the logs. But most overwrite once the router has been restarted.

I have a Vigor 2862ac, bit overkill for home office.

Is it just youre pc or all devices in the house that loose connection.

I would assign a static IP to you computer, rather than a leased one.

Try a wired over wifi connection

If wifi it could be congestion on that band. Depends if you 2.5/5Ghz. Try a wifi scanner.

Or it could just be rubbish isp, cabling from router, noise on the line. Contention ratio, poor phone line outside etc.

so much to check. I am sure if you contact your ISP they will say reboot your router

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Given my PC runs 24/7, (actually a Mac) is there any very simple app that would log outages without disrupting anything... not sure if you can just ping someone releentlessly without them getting upset

Who is your ISP?
              What is the path from where the cable comes in to your house to the computer?
              Why do you never switch your computer off?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Who is your ISP?
                What is the path from where the cable comes in to your house to the computer?
                Why do you never switch your computer off?
                PlusNet, cable direct to router (engineer checked and replaced the socket) then CAT6. But this isn't an issue with my computer alone, all devices wired and WiFi.

Why would I turn my computer off? Then I have to waste time restarting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  How have you confirmed it is actually an outage between your ISP and your router, and not an outage between your router and your machine (presumably over WiFi)?
                  Because I own more than one device

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Why would I turn my computer off? Then I have to waste time restarting it!
                    OK, if you won’t reboot, I can’t help.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X