• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good monitor recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Warning sockies.. That's gonna work
    I shout at the bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
      I need a decent monitor for doing web ui work so something with enough real estate - I guess 36"? Don't want to have 2 screens.

It seens cheaper to just buy a tv than a dedicated monitor. Any reason I shouldn't do just that?
      TV ratios don't really work for monitor usage. You want something wide, but not too high. See this tread: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-monitors.html

I bought, as recommended, a Dell U3419W. I've no regrets. You don't need two monitors with this one.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        I've just bought a Dell U2720Q recently, 4k with USB C and all the fancy colour stuff. Not cheap at around £500 but well worth it. Wish I'd done it ages ago.
        Whilst I don't do web work I write software and the resolution and colour are a big step up.

Not sure how big they go but can recommend them.

Steve
        Thanks Steve, looks good.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        For a TV to look sharp you need to check it is 4:4:4 chroma, otherwise the text will be blurred even a 4K one.

That's the difference between a monitor and a TV.

You have been warned!
        Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        TV ratios don't really work for monitor usage. You want something wide, but not too high. See this tread: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-monitors.html

I bought, as recommended, a Dell U3419W. I've no regrets. You don't need two monitors with this one.
        and that's the other part of my question answered. I had no idea. Thanks.

Comment

+1 for Dell, have a look on Amazon I got a further 30 notes off the price for a 24" Ultra jobby just for prime only members.

And also check on their own interwebs site they have deals all the time, punting out slightly older stock at reduced prices.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Shut the door!!! Next you'll be telling me the Rolex my co has invested in looks good on my wrist...

Worlds gone mad I tell ye....
            I have two, as redundant Analog NTP devices.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I don't know what graphics adapter my work laptop has - viewing system settings is disabled! If it doesnt support 4k or qhd (or whatever resoluition monitor I'm getting) will the monitor still be usable or won't it work at all?

Comment

36” is uncommon, most are 34” at quad HD resolution, or 32 inch at 4K resolution. Highly recommend 32” at 4K, avoid quad HD. Due to the higher pixel density at 4K, you can get more on screen e.g on a 32inch at 4K, I can fit 3 windows at 1080p equivalent. I was surprised how much more I could fit on screen due to pixel density, as before buying , I just measured the window sizes on my 1080p 24”, and assumed they would take the same physical space.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                  36” is uncommon, most are 34” at quad HD resolution, or 32 inch at 4K resolution. Highly recommend 32” at 4K, avoid quad HD. Due to the higher pixel density at 4K, you can get more on screen e.g on a 32inch at 4K, I can fit 3 windows at 1080p equivalent. I was surprised how much more I could fit on screen due to pixel density, as before buying , I just measured the window sizes on my 1080p 24”, and assumed they would take the same physical space.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  But will a monitor like that work with a laptop with an average graphics card?

Tempted just to opt for 1080p since this will just be used for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
                    But will a monitor like that work with a laptop with an average graphics card?

Tempted just to opt for 1080p since this will just be used for work.
                    You're limited by the video output(s) on the laptop unless using some sort of usb to video convertor. Ideally need displayport/mini-displayport or HDMI 2 for higher than 1080 HD at usable refresh rates.

You can connect using whatever output is available (and the appropriate cable if need to convert between formats for whatever inputs the monitor has) and get some sort of picture but it may be lower res and lower refresh rate than optimal so the image may be too unusable or irritating depending how the display handles what it is getting fed and the options to play around with it in the monitor settings.

You should be able to gauge the capabilities of the laptop via the user manual as they will give a max res/refresh rate for any outputs based on what specs they provide, then you just need to find out if the laptop is the basic or enhanced spec. The client should be able to assist if not easy to determine via software access or model number.

One option (if currently allowed) would be to take the laptop to PC World or other computer shop in the area and try plugging it into their fancy monitors to see how it copes and what type of cable would be needed. Another option is to buy the monitor and return under distance selling regs if not compatible.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      You're limited by the video output(s) on the laptop unless using some sort of usb to video convertor. Ideally need displayport/mini-displayport or HDMI 2 for higher than 1080 HD at usable refresh rates.

You can connect using whatever output is available (and the appropriate cable if need to convert between formats for whatever inputs the monitor has) and get some sort of picture but it may be lower res and lower refresh rate than optimal so the image may be too unusable or irritating depending how the display handles what it is getting fed and the options to play around with it in the monitor settings.

You should be able to gauge the capabilities of the laptop via the user manual as they will give a max res/refresh rate for any outputs based on what specs they provide, then you just need to find out if the laptop is the basic or enhanced spec. The client should be able to assist if not easy to determine via software access or model number.

One option (if currently allowed) would be to take the laptop to PC World or other computer shop in the area and try plugging it into their fancy monitors to see how it copes and what type of cable would be needed. Another option is to buy the monitor and return under distance selling regs if not compatible.
                      Really useful post, thanks. Hadn't thought about taking the laptop into a store and trying it out as you suggest.

Have since found out that the laptop has one hdmi 1.4b port supporting up to 4k @30 Hz

Comment

Working...
                      X