• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good monitor recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
    Really useful post, thanks. Hadn't thought about taking the laptop into a store and trying it out as you suggest.

Have since found out that the laptop has one hdmi 1.4b port supporting up to 4k @30 Hz
    Try connecting it to a 4K TV/monitor while at the store too then.

IIRC 30hz will be ok for mostly static work but anything more extensive than mouse movement will be borderline unusable depending how sentitive to movement issues you are.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Try connecting it to a 4K TV/monitor while at the store too then.

IIRC 30hz will be ok for mostly static work but anything more extensive than mouse movement will be borderline unusable depending how sentitive to movement issues you are.
      I go all wooshy headed and nauseous at dodgy frame rates so, other than for streaming TV, I won't use a PC attached to a TV screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I go all wooshy headed and nauseous at dodgy frame rates so, other than for streaming TV, I won't use a PC attached to a TV screen.
        That'll be the hypnotoad using interlaced frames.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just heard about these. Seem to have proper KVM functionality rather than software driven, like the Dell, which requires an install on all connected devices.

Gigabyte launches pair of 27-inch M-Series KVM gaming monitors - Monitors - News - HEXUS.net

Comment

For anyone thinking about the Dell monitor and its KVM function. You don't have to install Dell Display Manager on all connected devices. Just on one, ideally your primary device.

Once it's installed, find the file ddm.exe and copy it to any device(s) you want to connect to the monitor.

It runs without any installation and you get full KVM use. If you can set it to run on start up, that's most useful. I also found making sure I've set a shortcut key sequence to switch between inputs makes the process easier. There's about a 2 second delay while it switches

Comment

Working...
            X