• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old multi core server for Visual Studio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old multi core server for Visual Studio

I'd be keen to learn if anyone had experimented with doing development work (Visual Studio specifically) on a machine with physical core count around or over the 20s?
    Be it perhaps an old server with slowish 2GHz+ Xeon cores in the dozens or even the new Ryzen monsters.

This is especially relevant when you have a solution with many projects and turn Live Unit Testing on.

My laptop has 12 cores and it works well.

I think it should work out well as a dev machine to have 20+ cores, especially for unit testing.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 8 August 2020, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      My laptop has 12 cores and it works well.
      So has mine, and all the RAM in the world, but still that solution I work on kills it.

And to the person wanting to comment on the solution: nope I can't do anything about it, just need more metal

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
        So has mine, and all the RAM in the world, but still that solution I work on kills it.

And to the person wanting to comment on the solution: nope I can't do anything about it, just need more metal
        You need one of these:
        Introducing the HPE Cray line of supercomputers
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What makes you think that few old crappy Xeon cores will be better than a one modern one?

Is the CPU a bottleneck or have you looked into IO performance?

Comment

Just a guess of suggestion but try jetbrains rider. VS performance has been an issue for me in the past and changed to rider a year back.

No idea if it will help your situation.

Comment

The other thing is do you also use Resharper, because that can slug performance too. My dev laptop has a very fast SSD, 32GB RAM and i9 12 core CPU. It is usable as a dev laptop with this spec, your mileage might vary.

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post

Surely you're not changing things that require all projects in a solution to be live unit tested, so maybe could create local alternative solutions to split it up outside the official one.

If using VS2019 I'd see if VS2017 or even VS2015 give a better experience. Can install side-by-side so no impact on current installation while trying alternatives.

If your hands are tied and looking for best hardware then get Ryzen Threadripper based system and let us know how it goes.

A quick look on reddit for reference of the threadripper and visual studio performance finds:

Workstation PC, Visual Studio 2019, which CPU? : Amd
                I compile a fairly large project on my 3900x in Visual Studio. Half C code, half C#. It's a couple hundred thousand lines of code.

My worknlaptpp, 4 cores 8 threads 15W intel CPU takes 1min 45sec to build.

The 3900X takes 12 seconds and loads all the cores nicely.

I do have a fast SSD and 32GB of RAM but 16GB would work just as well.

This thing is a beast. I can't see needing anything faster for a good long time.
                You can offset the cost of one of these beauties by all the leccy you'll save on not using a thirsty old xeon based server.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Alternatively, get a cheapo old rackserver to try it out before splashing out on more expensive modern alternatives.

I stumbled across bargainhardware.co.uk (a legit reseller of refurb corporate kit) and have had some fun looking for the best bang/buck server for a home lab to run some VMs, and could have a dev VM set up and remote desktop in from a laptop that isn't a massive spec.

Not finished looking (by a long way, this could take weeks ) but currently on a HP Proliant DL380 G7 2U with 2 x quad core xeon and 48gb ram for £150 inc vat and delivery.

Did have a 1U specced with 2 hex cores and 32gb ram for £130 but that was with 2.5" drive caddies and think 3.5" would be more flexible for my needs.

Also specced up a Dell Precision workstation that initially seemed very cheap but then found the cpu heatsinks are 40 quid each as they are a custom design and therefore now rare. Bloody Dell.

Seems now many enterprises are moving to the cloud and giving their workforce laptops there are loads of previous generation kit going for peanuts. So tempting to get a rack of the stuff for some home meddling, if I can stomach the leccy bill. Would make for an interesting electric heater in winter though.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    I stumbled across bargainhardware.co.uk (a legit reseller of refurb corporate kit)
                    Thank you for that, kind Sir
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X