• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Faster than NVMe, faster than RAM?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster than NVMe, faster than RAM?

Is it within reach of a mere mortal to build a computer that has storage faster than your fast NVMe drive or even RAM?
    I've experimented with running two 970 Pros on a hardware RAID0 but there were no gains to speak of, as the bus seems to be oversaturated.

Laptop, NVMe drive

Laptop, RAM drive

Dev machine in the cloud

I've found that the drive speed is a huge bottleneck. 10x 2.7GHz cores (local) are on par with 4x 2.3GHz (cloud) - Both recent Xeons.

This is for a sabrent 1tb pci-e 4 NVME running on an pci-e 4 bus

which is about as good as you can get - so I suspect the cloud is pulling a pile of tricks to get that result (as it's a hybrid drive which probably uses memory caching looking at those figures)

I suspect your issue is your actual laptop and nothing is going to fix that.
    Last edited by eek; 10 August 2020, 07:47.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      This is for a sabrent 1tb pci-e 4 NVME running on an pci-e 4 bus

which is about as good as you can get - so I suspect the cloud is pulling a pile of tricks to get that result (as it's a hybrid drive which probably uses memory caching looking at those figures)

I suspect your issue is your actual laptop and nothing is going to fix that.
      You lack imagination.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
      X