• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to buy a Samsung QLED telly. Ran the "thinness" and viewing tests, and came out with LG OLED.

The OLED's do have a better viewing angle and are extremely thin, however they do carry a price-premium. They LG WebOS is very good and easy to use.

At the end of the day, you get used to watching whatever it is that you are watching...
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Less than 50" screen - the only sane choice is the LG or Sony 48" oled models, everything else is too cut down in that size.

Although unless you need to buy now wait until Black Friday or January for the prices to hit sane rather than stupid prices.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        I went to buy a Samsung QLED telly. Ran the "thinness" and viewing tests, and came out with LG OLED.

The OLED's do have a better viewing angle and are extremely thin, however they do carry a price-premium. They LG WebOS is very good and easy to use.

At the end of the day, you get used to watching whatever it is that you are watching...
        WSS I used to buy Samsung but also took a gamble on buying an LG TV a while back, WebOS is far more intuitive and slicker even my nan has no issues using iPlayer and Netflix on the TV we recently bought her.

You also tend to get a lot of bang for your buck too in comparison with other brands like Samsung and Sony.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

We have 2 LG TVs.
          Both are <40", because they fit better in the house and I find large TVs that take over a room a tad uncouth.

I'd not necessarily recommend LG, they have been good although the OS on one of them can no longer be updated so we use an Amazon Fire stick for Youtube.

Look at Samsungs, maybe something like this:
          Samsung UE43TU8000 (2020) HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43 inch with TVPlus, Black at John Lewis & Partners
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Less than 50" screen - the only sane choice is the LG or Sony 48" oled models, everything else is too cut down in that size.

Although unless you need to buy now wait until Black Friday or January for the prices to hit sane rather than stupid prices.
            My current one is still working so no immediate rush. However, knowing that it took me a good year of saying "I should get a new monitor" before I finally made a decision, I really should put some effort into finding a new telly as this was triggered by Windoze pushing a huge update last night and me having to remember the custom scaling I had to do to get the bloody desktop to sit right on the screen.

Having done some digging it seems my Samsumg is about 10-11 years old, so it's had a good innings.

Currently I have a 40" LCD and I don't want to go bigger than 50". I don't have a need for anything bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              My current one is still working so no immediate rush. However, knowing that it took me a good year of saying "I should get a new monitor" before I finally made a decision, I really should put some effort into finding a new telly as this was triggered by Windoze pushing a huge update last night and me having to remember the custom scaling I had to do to get the bloody desktop to sit right on the screen.

Having done some digging it seems my Samsumg is about 10-11 years old, so it's had a good innings.

Currently I have a 40" LCD and I don't want to go bigger than 50". I don't have a need for anything bigger.
              So start looking now and have the credit card ready to hit Richer Sounds on Black Friday...

Comment

Another vote for Samsung here. I like the LG products but have had quite a few of them ( TV, Hifi etc) stop working almost as soon as the product guarantee expired

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Having never owned a Smart TV, are they any good? I see there's lots of TV OS's out there now.
                  I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMART TV but if the other specs of the TV match what you want/need then buy it. This is because you risk the apps being obsolete before the TV breaks down plus you may want apps the manufacturer doesn't have. I have a SMART TV where the apps were mostly obsolete 3.5 years after I got it. I now have a Roku stick stuck into the back of it like I also have on my main TV.

Main TV is a Samsung.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMART TV but if the other specs of the TV match what you want/need then buy it. This is because you risk the apps being obsolete before the TV breaks down plus you may want apps the manufacturer doesn't have. I have a SMART TV where the apps were mostly obsolete 3.5 years after I got it. I now have a Roku stick stuck into the back of it like I also have on my main TV.

Main TV is a Samsung.
                    +1 - buy a TV based on picture and sound quality - chances are if you keep a TV long enough you will need a apple TV / Amazon / Roku stick to continue to receive all the programs you want to watch.

Comment

Bought a Sharp 40" smart tv from Lidl.

It even had a satellite tuner built in.

It had a lovely picture for the five minutes it stayed up before rebooting.

It's the 2nd time I've taken a tv back to the shop within a couple of days of buying it.

The first one was a Bush 22" ctv that lasted a whole 10 minutes before dying way back in 1980.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X