• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I went to buy a Samsung QLED telly. Ran the "thinness" and viewing tests, and came out with LG OLED.

The OLED's do have a better viewing angle and are extremely thin, however they do carry a price-premium. They LG WebOS is very good and easy to use.

At the end of the day, you get used to watching whatever it is that you are watching...
    I did the same. Went for an LG and have been impressed with it. Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Having never owned a Smart TV, are they any good? I see there's lots of TV OS's out there now.
      Our last two have been smart. I can cast from laptop and phone to the TV, which is occasionally useful. I can start a youtube video on a laptop or phone, then have the TV youtube app take over. The main benefit IMO, is that you connect to streaming services directly. I can also install a VPN on the TV which means I can watch Netflix UK, for example. Or BBC iplayer...
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.
        You sound like my missus
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Our last two have been smart. I can cast from laptop and phone to the TV, which is occasionally useful. I can start a youtube video on a laptop or phone, then have the TV youtube app take over. The main benefit IMO, is that you connect to streaming services directly. I can also install a VPN on the TV which means I can watch Netflix UK, for example. Or BBC iplayer...
          We've got a Firestick in every TV we have. I haven't use the Smart functionality of any of them for as long as I can remember now.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did the same. Went for an LG and have been impressed with it. Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.
            OLED55E9 - I was fortunate enough to win my purchase price back from Curry's...
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Currently I have a 40" LCD and I don't want to go bigger than 50". I don't have a need for anything bigger.
              Depending on how old your 40" one is, you might find the LG 55" OLEDs aren't that much bigger, they have virtually no bezel.

I've got a 55" and 65" OLED, the only reason I'd consider swapping the older 55" one is that the apps are starting to get a bit slow now, but as others have said the far cheaper alternative is to plug in a smart box.

PQ was way better than anything else I looked at, especially HDR content.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Depending on how old your 40" one is...
                Mentioned in the sentence above the one you quoted

But yes, good point. Mine has a HUGE bezel and is probably 50" in overall size, so that size TV will most likely take up the same amount of space.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMART TV but if the other specs of the TV match what you want/need then buy it. This is because you risk the apps being obsolete before the TV breaks down plus you may want apps the manufacturer doesn't have. I have a SMART TV where the apps were mostly obsolete 3.5 years after I got it. I now have a Roku stick stuck into the back of it like I also have on my main TV.

Main TV is a Samsung.
                  That is a fair point. I debated getting an Apple TV or Fire TV device for that reason. It's easier to update the TV box but went for the smart TV in the end as neither device had exactly what I wanted. The smart TV has it all but time will tell what happens with the apps.

Comment

Not into those huge things that you need to sit half a mile away from, a sub-50 incher will do.

What do all the cool kids have these days?
                    You can sit much closer to a large 4K TV than you used to be able to with an HDTV. Now, it's something like 1.5 times the screen diagonal distance, so for a 55 incher, that's less than 8 feet.

Comment

You can sit much closer to a large 4K TV than you used to be able to with an HDTV. Now, it's something like 1.5 times the screen diagonal distance, so for a 55 incher, that's less than 8 feet.
                      I live in a basement flat in London

Comment

Working...
                      X