• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is weird how having TVs we'd have considered obscene, now seems the norm. Every now and then watching TV at a mate's who still has a 30" (pretty big TV growing up) I struggle to see what's going on and my eyes are fine.

40" is a nice size if you are more than a couple of metres away. I would say 4K and HDR makes quite a difference the first time you see it, then you forget.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It is weird how having TVs we'd have considered obscene, now seems the norm. Every now and then watching TV at a mate's who still has a 30" (pretty big TV growing up) I struggle to see what's going on and my eyes are fine.

40" is a nice size if you are more than a couple of metres away. I would say 4K and HDR makes quite a difference the first time you see it, then you forget.
      I was very happy with our 42" 10 year old LCD but their was no way BS03 was going to have his xbox plugged into the living room tv for six months during lockdown. So that went to his room and the new 55" came into the living room.

55" with 4k/UHD/HDR content is impressive through in a an ATMOS surrounded setup and its a great cinematic experience. We added a SL8YG sound bar and added the optional rear speakers (spk8-s).
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Looks really good. How are you finding it ? I'm in the market for something similar, but "smaller" screens are hard to find. TV functions will come from a Raspberry Pi running OSMC, so really a new TV will just be a display panel. Looks like OLED is the way to go. I'm concerned about viewing angles, which are difficult to judge on Amazon.

Not looking forward to needing a soundbar. My chunky 2006 Sony might have a microscopic 32" screen, but it knows how to make a sound.

Incidentally this was the procedure for building the Pi. Skips adverts in recorded programs, plays videos from phones, view TV on any device etc.
        How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi | Unix etc.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Looks really good. How are you finding it ? I'm in the market for something similar, but "smaller" screens are hard to find. TV functions will come from a Raspberry Pi running OSMC, so really a new TV will just be a display panel. Looks like OLED is the way to go. I'm concerned about viewing angles, which are difficult to judge on Amazon.

Not looking forward to needing a soundbar. My chunky 2006 Sony might have a microscopic 32" screen, but it knows how to make a sound.

Incidentally this was the procedure for building the Pi. Skips adverts in recorded programs, plays videos from phones, view TV on any device etc.
          How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi | Unix etc.
          It arrives on Monday, will let you know

It's an LED, not OLED, which kept the price down. It's going to be plenty good enough for what I'll use it for.

Comment

My mistake. LG 43UN81006LB isn't OLED. Been a long day.

...thanks, please do.

Comment

I bought a very nice LG from Richer Sounds. Was around £800 but was a 55". Three months on am still very happy.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                I bought a very nice LG from Richer Sounds. Was around £800 but was a 55". Three months on am still very happy.
                Just seen that's what you did! Good call!
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

There's plenty of sub 50" tv's to have a looksee at. Someone must have the greater than 32" filter on!

Getting some strange happenings recently when switching on our tv. It's a Toshiba 42" and recently switches itself on after switching on the sky box as it's meant to. The screen has been showing multi coloured lines for a split second before switching itself off then back on again after a few seconds when it's all good again. One day it lost all sound even when tuned to digital tv not through the sky box.

It only does this on first start up of the day. In anticipation of it going pop, Ive been looking at a couple of Samsung and LG 43" tv's in the £380 range.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                    There's plenty of sub 50" tv's to have a looksee at. Someone must have the greater than 32" filter on!

Getting some strange happenings recently when switching on our tv. It's a Toshiba 42" and recently switches itself on after switching on the sky box as it's meant to. The screen has been showing multi coloured lines for a split second before switching itself off then back on again after a few seconds when it's all good again. One day it lost all sound even when tuned to digital tv not through the sky box.

It only does this on first start up of the day. In anticipation of it going pop, Ive been looking at a couple of Samsung and LG 43" tv's in the £380 range.
                    Get a big telly and treat yourself with the change

Medion 50” Smart 4K UHD TV with HDR - ALDI UK

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

I have a Samsung, curved LCD, 4K HDR etc, picture quality is great, however the software is absolute garbage - slow, forcing their crap channels etc. It was marginally better when I got it, with each software update it gets worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X