• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband - how much is too much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband - how much is too much?

Regarding usage and payment?

I'm on Uno and pay £25.99 for 50gb per month.

Uno waived their usage limits over lockdown and my monitor shows that I used 150gb in August (damn you Netflix!), so it looks like I'll have to go back to one or two miserly shows/movies per week instead of one per night, and a smart TV is out of the question.

How much download do people consume on average?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Regarding usage and payment?

Uno waived their usage limits over lockdown and my monitor shows that I used 150gb in August (damn you Netflix!), so it looks like I'll have to go back to one or two miserly shows/movies per week instead of one per night, and a smart TV is out of the question.

How much download do people consume on average?
    Consume - I dread to think but it turns out I can't find the information on the ubiqui router I'm currently using - it will be TBs a month though without a doubt as we have a 400mb line.

And I wouldn't be using any line with usage limits Plusnet (Plusnet | Communications & Internet Provider - Fast, Cheap & Reliable) is £1 more but give you a £75 voucher...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm with BT.
      it's a full bundle, but i think the broadband bit is around £27/pm.
      it's unlimited too, so no need to watch your usage.

Comment

From using Netflix/etc and working on RDP on 4G a few times definitely talking several Gb per day. I think 1Gb/hour for Netflix at higher quality from memory
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We average around 500gb per month.

We use these guys.

A&A - Home

Not the cheapest by any means but far and away the best service of any ISP I've ever used.

They don't provide their own infrastructure, but they do have a direct line into the backbone providers and are *very* good at beating them up over service and performance issues. They will even take on and fix existing issues on a line when you move to them and back it with a money back guarantee.

Real time traffic monitoring, a service status page that actually contains useful information, UK help desk staffed with people who actually know what they are doing.

Plus they claim to be XKCD/806 compliant, although I've never had to test it
          Last edited by DaveB; 1 September 2020, 10:42.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            We average around 500gb per month.

We use these guys.

www.aa.net

Not the cheapest by any means but far and away the best service of any ISP I've ever used.

They don't provide their own infrastructure, but they do have a direct line into the backbone providers and are *very* good at beating them up over service and performance issues. They will even take on and fix existing issues on a line when you move to them and back it with a money back guarantee.

Real time traffic monitoring, a service status page that actually contains useful information, UK help desk staffed with people who actually know what they are doing.

Plus they claim to be XKCD/806 compliant, although I've never had to test it
            A&A - Home is actually their address and they aren't cheap - £42 minimum a month.

Unless you need to speak to people plusnet is more than good enough...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              A&A - Home is actually their address and they aren't cheap - £42 minimum a month.

Unless you need to speak to people plusnet is more than good enough...
              Typo in the url.

I said they weren't cheap.

Yes, Plusnet is good enough, as long as things don't go wrong. If they do you are screwed until they can be arsed to sort it out.

Since I'm running my business on this connection I thinks it's worth paying more to ensure I get good quality of service and don't have to make excuses to my clients for not being available when needed.

Just after we joined them we had a power cut that knackered the router. They couriered a new one out to me with delivery before 10am the next day. No charge.
              When we moved house last year there was an issue with the line at the new place (BT's problem) they got it sorted in 24hrs. No pissing about on automated phone systems, no "waiting for an engineer" no "it's not us it's BT" excuses. Called, explained the issue, they checked the line there and then to confirm and got it fixed.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Typo in the url.

I said they weren't cheap.

Yes, Plusnet is good enough, as long as things don't go wrong. If they do you are screwed until they can be arsed to sort it out.

Since I'm running my business on this connection I thinks it's worth paying more to ensure I get good quality of service and don't have to make excuses to my clients for not being available when needed.

Just after we joined them we had a power cut that knackered the router. They couriered a new one out to me with delivery before 10am the next day. No charge.
                When we moved house last year there was an issue with the line at the new place (BT's problem) they got it sorted in 24hrs. No pissing about on automated phone systems, no "waiting for an engineer" no "it's not us it's BT" excuses. Called, explained the issue, they checked the line there and then to confirm and got it fixed.
                Then again you still have a risk of down time - if you really need a backup plan a 3 mifi device and plus.net is still going to be cheaper.

Comment

I'm on one of the fastest unlimited Virgin Media tariffs.

Gig1 Fibre Broadband – the UK’s fastest broadband | Virgin Media

1Gbps

They sent me an email saying I'm one for the biggest users of bandwidth they have, congratulating me. I max it out 24/7.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I'd never buy a capped service and always go through TopCashback et. al in order to reduce the headline figure. My previous service was with TalkTalk (fibre ~ 20Mbps) at ~ £11 pcm after cash-back.

I'm about to jump to Virgin (fibre ~100Mbps) at ~£20 pcm after rewards via Money Saving Expert.

There wasn't anything much cheaper when I looked, but I'll likely drop back to something cheaper at the end of the Virgin contract.

HTH.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X