• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative modem \ router to BT HH6 FTTC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative modem \ router to BT HH6 FTTC

Im interested in people's suggestions for alternatives to the BT HomeHub 6 for fibre to the cabinet.

When I first went onto BT Infinity, they sent me a HomeHub 3 and separate white modem. I soon ditched the HH3 for a Netgear WNR4300. This combo worked well for 7 or 8 years until January just gone.

My internet kept dropping the connection and as BT had sent me a free HH6 on contract renewal, removed both the original BT modem and WNR4300. Apparently you cannot use the HH6 in just modem mode although maybe some tech wizzards can.

Anyway, 9 months on Im less than impressed with the HH6. It drops the connection roughly every 30 days and for some reason, locks out different devices from the web despite showing them as being connected!

Ive read you can have issues if the chipset in the modem router isnt compatible with BT's cabinets and Draytek are a good alternative.

So, any suggestions for either a combined VDSL2 modem \ router or separates to replace the HH6? Fire away!

I've been impressed with the HH6, haven't had any issues with it.
    Are you certain it's the HH6 that's the problem?
    How are you connecting on to it?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I've been impressed with the HH6, haven't had any issues with it.
      Are you certain it's the HH6 that's the problem?
      How are you connecting on to it?
      Wirelessly. I think it's pants. BT detected a fault on the line back in March which is strange as the frequent disconnects every couple of hours had stopped by then.

Ive had 2 spells since January where the connection lasted more than 70 days, the last 1 was 83 days. When it restarted itself, it locked out an Xbox and the only way I could get it to connect was to re start the HH6.

Previously, it has locked out both Sky+ HD boxes at different times. Average time it stays up is 35 to 40 days which BT says is good! The previous combo of BT modem and WNR4300 used to get rebooted by me around the 250 day mark!

The HH6 doesnt get good reviews if you search the BT Community or web!

Comment

Drayteks are good, I've had several in the past, although for the last couple of years I've been running a Netgear D6400 which does everything I need it to and doesn't upset the other half with its visual appearance

Comment

I've had drayteks too. So simple to configure, even I could do it.

Comment

I've always been a fan of LinkSys products.

Best Linksys Router in 2020 | Android Central
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
            X