• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH Web meeting kit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After doing some research, I've ordered a Lume Cube panel light to sort out the majority of my lighting issues, as indeed, this is the biggest problem with my setup.
    I'm going to B&Q at the weekend to replace the light fitting in here with something a bit better with daylight bulbs. Will also see about repainting the white wall behind me, as it's creating a lot of contrast and the webcam is struggling to compensate.

The webcams on my personal laptop and my clients laptop should be ok with the right lighting, but I want to be ready to absolutely nail any interview for my next gig. My sector's been decimated lately - I'm lucky to be working now and I don't know how long it will last, so I'm having to up my game. For webcams, at the moment, I'm restricted to what is in stock as there isn't alot of choice for decent ones. I've gone for the Logitech Streamcam as it does 1080p at 60fps. Yes, it's expensive but hopefully I'm future proofing myself. I found it in stock at Currys, although if you go to Amazon you're looking at a 2 month wait!

I've also ordered the 27" Quad HD monitor I've been thinking about for a while... just because

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Being a part time photographer I use my backup DSLR and a lighting rig as my web cam, excellent image quality but then I realised I look like a yeti as I've not had a haircut or trimmed by beard in 7 months so thought why try polishing a turd
      Barber shops have been open since July...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Barber shops have been open since July...
        Meh, it's not like I am going anywhere anytime soon!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
          Will also see about repainting the white wall behind me, as it's creating a lot of contrast and the webcam is struggling to compensate.
          It might not be very attractive, but think abut a green or blue background so that your camera software can "green screen" correctly... check that your software can do this.

For webcams, at the moment, I'm restricted to what is in stock as there isn't alot of choice for decent ones. I've gone for the Logitech Streamcam as it does 1080p at 60fps.
          The cheaper Logitech C920 (now upgraded to C930) are very good for the money and often around £25 when on deals... I think that mine was about that when I bought it.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Meh, it's not like I am going anywhere anytime soon!
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              The cheaper Logitech C920 (now upgraded to C930) are very good for the money and often around £25 when on deals... I think that mine was about that when I bought it.

Not many deals about at the moment. The Logitech C920 is £85 - if you can find it in stock.... There are cheaper Logitech's with less capability, or unbranded "take your chance on the quality" webcams.

The Logitech I've ordered should be able to "green screen" pretty well. I don't know how to do it - or if I want to - but maybe I'll give it a smash

Comment

Not many deals about at the moment. The Logitech C920 is £85 - if you can find it in stock.... There are cheaper Logitech's with less capability, or unbranded "take your chance on the quality" webcams.

The Logitech I've ordered should be able to "green screen" pretty well. I don't know how to do it - or if I want to - but maybe I'll give it a smash
                Jings, I've just checked. It's now three times what I paid.

As I mentioned above: the logitech Capture software will do "green screen". It also does "picture-in-picture" so that you can connect two webcams or show a desktop as well as the webcam. It's goos, but resource intensive and it took me a while to get it to work correctly with Teams.

Good luck.

PS: I'd be tempted to make do with the laptop web cams for a bit; you're being fleeced on a new webcam IMHO.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  PS: I'd be tempted to make do with the laptop web cams for a bit; you're being fleeced on a new webcam IMHO.
                  You're right, they are taking the p with pricing. Although I'm spending on tech this year from the company account, just in case I have to do the unthinkable and go perm come April..

Comment

Being a part time photographer I use my backup DSLR and a lighting rig as my web cam, excellent image quality but then I realised I look like a yeti as I've not had a haircut or trimmed by beard in 7 months so thought why try polishing a turd
                    Ahhh so the statement should have been more along the lines of....

Personally speaking, a paper bag will be much better than just a camera upgrade
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Ahhh so the statement should have been more along the lines of....
                      Play nicely or I'll put up your photo from facebook showing how lockdown has treated you!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X