• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No code programming (end of programmers)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No code programming (end of programmers)

Remind me, what we’re the big players in the past that promised no code programming

Current client actually considering these jokers

One Small Step for Unqork, One Giant Leap for Enterprise Software

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Remind me, what we’re the big players in the past that promised no code programming

Current client actually considering these jokers

One Small Step for Unqork, One Giant Leap for Enterprise Software

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

As soon as you introduce a conditional -> you've got programming. Not to be attempted by non professionals. Or OG.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

MS are currently looking for a Principal General Manager for their lowcode Power Platform solution to resolve the cliff between low code and professional development.

What I find great is that most of the time I hit the professional development side of things as its less work than the low code solution and far easier to understand.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I do think this type of thing will continue to grow. Look at how much investment microsoft is throwing into powerapps for example. They just reworked the whole platform.

Comment

The code is just abstracted (i.e. hidden) behind a graphical UI where flow chart style decision processes and actions are created by drag and drop.

Nothing new here, just perhaps they have better bullshiners (aka sales consultants) than the competition as it's all about selling a vision (however unrealistic) to largely clueless senior management and worrying about the technicalities later once the client is on the hook.

Like any framework these solutions fall to pieces rapidly when something they're not designed to do is required.

Still, if the people doing the actual work for said senior management want to draw pretty diagrams instead of bashing a keyboard with crappy programming languages that geeks make overcomplicated and solutions that are over engineered then why not.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            I do think this type of thing will continue to grow. Look at how much investment microsoft is throwing into powerapps for example. They just reworked the whole platform.
            What age group do you fall into? This has been tried every decade since computers existed.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Frameworks designed to minimise code have come and gone many times. Enterprises love to hire low wage keyboard rattlers who use some framework to plug in logic.

However, no company ever has logic that is easily handled by the low code platform. After that, trying to plug in that extra logic costs more time and money and you feel like abandoning the whole thing completely.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Frameworks designed to minimise code have come and gone many times. Enterprises love to hire low wage keyboard rattlers who use some framework to plug in logic.

However, no company ever has logic that is easily handled by the low code platform. After that, trying to plug in that extra logic costs more time and money and you feel like abandoning the whole thing completely.
                That depends. For me low code is great as it remove whole piles of code which would take hours / days to write and allows me to cover those areas in minutes / hours mainly because low code has moved away from an easier way to write Javascript to something that is far more like a complete building block.

So I can create an expense approval and payment system in probably an hour. Create a database table (power app entity) and create a portal form for it (few minutes). Add validation logic to ensure it meets the criteria - probably 15 minutes on top. Add Power Automates Approval flow and manager approval can be set up in another 5 minutes. Then another 5 minutes and the approved expense can be fired off to payroll to be paid.

Now all that would take me less than 1 hour to do for an entire company - and imagine how long it would take to write from scratch even 3 years ago.

Low code is will work this time around because the building blocks are now far more complete with larger building blocks including complete processes than they ever were before - the biggest issue is that you do need to be more ruthless when it comes to enhancement requests - but the choose between a half day piece of work and 2 months of developer time does focus minds - yes it's not exactly what you want but you can have it next week or in January (for a lot more money) take your pick.
                Last edited by eek; 9 October 2020, 09:26.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  What age group do you fall into? This has been tried every decade since computers existed.
                  Aye, too right.

It's been downhill all the way since they invented AUTOCODE.

How we larfed.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I am mid 30s, first programming job at 22. I actually first learned how to program on a drag and drop IDE so I can understand where you're coming from. I don't know why but I feel like its different this time, could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X