• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home networking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    In that case get the sparky to run 2x shielded cat6 and terminate it in a face plate at both ends. That's what I did. Wish I'd also got them to do fibre at the time, but too late now.
    Why two?
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Because even armoured cables cost Next to nothing relatively speaking, and 25 years in ops has taught me you will always need more capacity/redundancy than you plan for originally.

2 cables gives you redundancy if one goes bad/gets cut through, and if you find you need it you can always use the second one for link aggregation/HDMI over cat6 or whatever.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        About 25 meters.
        Wouldn't wifi reach that far?
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          Wouldn't wifi reach that far?

Depends.
          We don't know what is between the two buildings. We don't know how secure a connection the OP requires. We don't know how close the OP can locate a wifi transmitter. We don't know how thick the walls are. We don't know any other issues around wifi.

Otherwise, he could just use this:
          WAVLINK N300 Outdoor Access Point Support 200ft Poe, Weatherproof Outdoor Wifi Booster, Ideal for Outdoor Wi-Fi: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Because even armoured cables cost Next to nothing relatively speaking, and 25 years in ops has taught me you will always need more capacity/redundancy than you plan for originally.

2 cables gives you redundancy if one goes bad/gets cut through, and if you find you need it you can always use the second one for link aggregation/HDMI over cat6 or whatever.
            2 cables is only fully redundant if they go via suitably different routes - otherwise a single spade could take both out...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Chaps? Dude wants to run a cable to his shed; let's not over complicate it.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Chaps? Dude wants to run a cable to his shed; let's not over complicate it.

Why not? This is the Internet.

I've not gone for the microwave or satellite solutions yet...
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  2 cables is only fully redundant if they go via suitably different routes - otherwise a single spade could take both out...
                  I didn't say fully redundant. They're not fully redundant unless they go different routes via different routers, through different ISPs and are on different power supplies, and even then....

It's unlikely that a spade would do through armoured cable, it's more likely that the termination points would go bad, corrosion through condensation etc.

In any case the reason I'd (personally) run more than one is... why not....? The extra cost is negligible, and it's worth it just in case IMO.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Sorry but even the latest homeplugs are as slow as .....
                    ... the fastest fibre broadband most can currently get (FTTC).

I use them instead of wifi to areas away from the broadband router, then have them feed into a local gigabit switch for any proper networking in that area. Works for me.

Only thing that'll likely get me upgrading is if FTTP comes along () or 10 gigabit become ubiquotous on laptops and consumer gear (). Maybe USB will replace ethernet now latest gen 2 is supposedly capable of 10 gbps and gen 2x2 up to 20 gbps.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      ... the fastest fibre broadband most can currently get (FTTC).

I use them instead of wifi to areas away from the broadband router, then have them feed into a local gigabit switch for any proper networking in that area. Works for me.

Only thing that'll likely get me upgrading is if FTTP comes along () or 10 gigabit become ubiquotous on laptops and consumer gear (). Maybe USB will replace ethernet now latest gen 2 is supposedly capable of 10 gbps and gen 2x2 up to 20 gbps.
                      That explains it then - my Virgin line is 350Mb.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X