• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home networking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home networking

Having never wired a network cable up I'm hoping for some advise from the learned masses. I want to run a cable from my house to an out building, is it as simple as running a shielded network cable to the building and connecting a network face plate either end fixed in to the appropriate walls? I can then run a cable from my modem to the faceplate in the house and then in the home office plug in a cable to a wi-fi access point/switch for the devices in the out hose to connect to. Any thing else I need to consider?
    Make Mercia Great Again!

How far away is the outbuilding?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      How far away is the outbuilding?
      About 25 meters.

I have a Deco P9 mesh network with 3 access points in the house. So my plan was connect the modem to the main deco which is configured as the DHCP server. That links to the 2nd Deco in the house on wifi link ok. Then run a network cable from the main Deco unit to the face plate, down the new outdoor cable network face plate in the out building to a switch/3rd Deco in the out building. I already have a third deco in a room but it's not really needed. The ethernet ports on the Deco's are Gigabit.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Anything under 100m and you'll be fine. Make sure it's a cable that can cope with the elements.

Yes, just make sure you wire them up with the colours in the same order.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If the outbuilding has power from the house, so on the same consumer unit (where all the fuses are) it may be much easier to just plug in some powerline adapters (aka homeplugs) to get ethernet over the power line.

A pair can be had for under £30 and it removes a lot of hassle if they work and are fast enough. I prefer them to wifi at home when using something semi-static like a laptop, more reliable.

Best powerline adapter 2020: The best HomePlug kits, from just GBP30 | Expert Reviews

Keep it simple.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            If the outbuilding has power from the house, so on the same consumer unit (where all the fuses are) it may be much easier to just plug in some powerline adapters (aka homeplugs) to get ethernet over the power line.

A pair can be had for under £30 and it removes a lot of hassle if they work and are fast enough. I prefer them to wifi at home when using something semi-static like a laptop, more reliable.

Best powerline adapter 2020: The best HomePlug kits, from just GBP30 | Expert Reviews

Keep it simple.
            Actually the Deco p9's I have do have a powerline fall back built in if the wifi signal is to weak for the slave access points to connect to the master. The set of powerline adaptors I had previously (no wifi just wired network) were slow and I also had daily connection drop outs with them. The wiring I this house is not great. The sparky is also running an armoured cable for power down to the outhouse so not something I can try out before hand. I might try running an extension cable down their and plugging one of the deco's in and see what happens.
            Last edited by BlueSharp; 12 October 2020, 13:10.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Keep it simple.
              Sorry but even the latest homeplugs are as slow as .....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                The sparky is also running an armoured cable for power down to the outhouse....
                In that case get the sparky to run 2x shielded cat6 and terminate it in a face plate at both ends. That's what I did. Wish I'd also got them to do fibre at the time, but too late now.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Sorry but even the latest homeplugs are as slow as .....
                  I think that we've discussed this before, and I disagree. My Devolo home-plugs offered perfectly good performance; certainly sufficient for my home office and the living room media set-up. Obviously YMMV, but it might be worth the OP trying this first as a simple solution.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    I might try running an extension cable down their and plugging one of the deco's in and see what happens.
                    AISTR, home-plug type devices do not like "extension cables". Best to check.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X