Home networking Home networking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Home networking

Contractor Among Contractors

Default Home networking

Having never wired a network cable up I'm hoping for some advise from the learned masses. I want to run a cable from my house to an out building, is it as simple as running a shielded network cable to the building and connecting a network face plate either end fixed in to the appropriate walls? I can then run a cable from my modem to the faceplate in the house and then in the home office plug in a cable to a wi-fi access point/switch for the devices in the out hose to connect to. Any thing else I need to consider?
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

How far away is the outbuilding?
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    How far away is the outbuilding?
    About 25 meters.

I have a Deco P9 mesh network with 3 access points in the house. So my plan was connect the modem to the main deco which is configured as the DHCP server. That links to the 2nd Deco in the house on wifi link ok. Then run a network cable from the main Deco unit to the face plate, down the new outdoor cable network face plate in the out building to a switch/3rd Deco in the out building. I already have a third deco in a room but it's not really needed. The ethernet ports on the Deco's are Gigabit.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Anything under 100m and you'll be fine. Make sure it's a cable that can cope with the elements.

Yes, just make sure you wire them up with the colours in the same order.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Super poster

If the outbuilding has power from the house, so on the same consumer unit (where all the fuses are) it may be much easier to just plug in some powerline adapters (aka homeplugs) to get ethernet over the power line.

A pair can be had for under £30 and it removes a lot of hassle if they work and are fast enough. I prefer them to wifi at home when using something semi-static like a laptop, more reliable.

Best powerline adapter 2020: The best HomePlug kits, from just GBP30 | Expert Reviews

Keep it simple.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    If the outbuilding has power from the house, so on the same consumer unit (where all the fuses are) it may be much easier to just plug in some powerline adapters (aka homeplugs) to get ethernet over the power line.

A pair can be had for under £30 and it removes a lot of hassle if they work and are fast enough. I prefer them to wifi at home when using something semi-static like a laptop, more reliable.

Best powerline adapter 2020: The best HomePlug kits, from just GBP30 | Expert Reviews

Keep it simple.
    Actually the Deco p9's I have do have a powerline fall back built in if the wifi signal is to weak for the slave access points to connect to the master. The set of powerline adaptors I had previously (no wifi just wired network) were slow and I also had daily connection drop outs with them. The wiring I this house is not great. The sparky is also running an armoured cable for power down to the outhouse so not something I can try out before hand. I might try running an extension cable down their and plugging one of the deco's in and see what happens.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 12th October 2020 at 13:10.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post

Keep it simple.
    Sorry but even the latest homeplugs are as slow as .....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    The sparky is also running an armoured cable for power down to the outhouse....
    In that case get the sparky to run 2x shielded cat6 and terminate it in a face plate at both ends. That's what I did. Wish I'd also got them to do fibre at the time, but too late now.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Sorry but even the latest homeplugs are as slow as .....
    I think that we've discussed this before, and I disagree. My Devolo home-plugs offered perfectly good performance; certainly sufficient for my home office and the living room media set-up. Obviously YMMV, but it might be worth the OP trying this first as a simple solution.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    I might try running an extension cable down their and plugging one of the deco's in and see what happens.
    AISTR, home-plug type devices do not like "extension cables". Best to check.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---