• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partially blocked microbore C/H

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Therein lies another problem.

The muppet who installed the C/H used very long lengths of microbore. (It's usually recommended, with microbore, that you don't have radiators more than a couple of metres from a manifold.) One of our radiators is so far from the manifold, it takes about 1/2 hour to heat up.

The blocked radiator is about 10m from the manifold with what I'm guessing are quite a few elbow joints inbetween. It might be possible to rod the pipe but it wouldn't be easy.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      Any suggestions of things to try?
      Have you asked your accountant?

Someone had to say it

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Have you asked your accountant?
        You mean the one who installed the C/H?
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

If you were thinking of moving house, now might be a good time to consider it.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            If you were thinking of moving house, now might be a good time to consider it.
            Yes, and moving house would probably be less disruptive than replacing all the crappy microbore. Most of it is downstairs and buried in the concrete slab.

Comment

Partially blocked microbore C/H
              I took some syrup of figs and I'm fine now.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sorted

I cobbled together a connector so I could attach a car foot pump to the flow pipe.

It was a bit squeaky bum as I increased the pressure higher and higher but the blockage finally gave way at 5 bar (70 psi).

Comment

I cobbled together a connector so I could attach a car foot pump to the flow pipe.

It was a bit squeaky bum as I increased the pressure higher and higher but the blockage finally gave way at 5 bar (70 psi).
                  So next question - how do you fix things so it doesn't occur again?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    So next question - how do you fix things so it doesn't occur again?
                    Short of replacing all the microbore with 15mm...

It's probably worth shoving some cleaner in now and again, and making sure the system is always well dosed with inhibitor. I think there are also some filter devices you can install which are supposed to trap sludge.

Comment

Short of replacing all the microbore with 15mm...

It's probably worth shoving some cleaner in now and again, and making sure the system is always well dosed with inhibitor. I think there are also some filter devices you can install which are supposed to trap sludge.
                      Yep, magnetic filters. Well worth fitting in your case as they will catch the rust particles and sludge from the radiators so you can periodically remove and clean them. I'd remove the radiators in turn, flushing them out to remove the worst of the crap before refitting. Flush the system as thoroughly as you can to clear the pipes afterwards, then run cleaner through it and fit the filters. Run the heating for a while every day to begin with to encourage the remaining muck to circulate and the filter to catch it on the way past.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X