Partially blocked microbore C/H Partially blocked microbore C/H
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Contractor Among Contractors

Default Partially blocked microbore C/H

One of our downstairs radiators stopped getting very hot. The C/H is plumbed with 10mm plastic microbore (unfortunately).

I narrowed the problem down using the Bucket test. The return pipe is running fine but the flow pipe has a poor flow rate. I ruled out the radiator valve, so the blockage must be somewhere between the radiator valve and the manifold. I'm guessing it's clogged with sludge or something.

I've tried the following to no avail.
    1) C/H cleaner
    2) forcing mains water back down the pipe to try and dislodge it

Our plumber says he'd have to start ripping up floor boards etc, so I'd rather try less drastic options first. It was him who suggested giving C/H cleaner a go.

Any suggestions of things to try?
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Some things in Moderation

At last!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Have you tried bleeding it?
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Have you tried bleeding it?
    Connecting it to full mains water pressure certainly made it bleed. Unfortunately, in the wrong places.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Respect my authoritah!

Perhaps some nitroglycerine will resolve the blockage.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Nervous Newbie

Empty the contents of the radiator or just buy a new radiator as they are pretty cheap. If you've got too much sludge located in that one radiator.

I wouldn't do a power flush using microboar especially that narrow, could cause bigger problems.

Have you got a magnetic filter which should indicate the level of general sludge in the system?

Quote Originally Posted by foxyy View Post
    Empty the contents of the radiator or just buy a new radiator as they are pretty cheap. If you've got too much sludge located in that one radiator.

I wouldn't do a power flush using microboar especially that narrow, could cause bigger problems.

Have you got a magnetic filter which should indicate the level of general sludge in the system?
    Yes, I mentioned power flushing to our plumber and he said it would probably be a waste of time and money with microbore.

The problem doesn't appear to be in the radiator itself but in the flow pipe to it. The plumber reckons the blockage will probably be at the manifold where the pipework reduces from 22mm down to 10mm. Unfortunately, getting to that would mean ripping the floor up.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Yes, I mentioned power flushing to our plumber and he said it would probably be a waste of time and money with microbore.

The problem doesn't appear to be in the radiator itself but in the flow pipe to it. The plumber reckons the blockage will probably be at the manifold where the pipework reduces from 22mm down to 10mm. Unfortunately, getting to that would mean ripping the floor up.
    Yep, unfortunately that might be the only fix, ripping up the floor boards to reach the pipework and manifold.

I would try a powerflush before resorting to this, it might remove the blockage. I would replace the radiators if they are very old and corroded.
    I design idiot proof software. Trouble is, they keep making better idiots.

Nice But Dim

Quote Originally Posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Do you know where that is? If it's reasonably close, as a last resort before lifting the floor you could drain the system and try inserting a flexible rod at the radiator valve and shoving it through the pipe to the manifold and hoping you can disrupt the blockage enough to be able to flush it through.

RS PRO Wire Pipe Cleaner for use with Clearing Sink; Bath & Shower Waste Pipes | RS Components
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Do you know where the manifold is located?

Is there any possibility of using a flexible rod (maybe something like a net curtain wire) to "tickle" the blockage before using a chemical cleaner on that run of pipe?

Microbore is the Devil's work; you have my sympathies.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---