• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aftermarket GPUs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket GPUs

Whats the deal with aftermarket GPUs, I'm after a 5700XT and narrowed it down to
    • PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil
    • SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT

Performance wise they are on par, so most places say it comes down to personal preferences, but as I have not touched anything GPU wise in years how do you go about differentiating between aftermarket GPU providers
    Last edited by SimonMac; 16 October 2020, 13:32.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Stick with well known brands with reviews.

GeForce, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac etc.

Haven't heard of PowerColor, so they wouldn't be on my list.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

They're all pretty much of a muchness to be honest. I have the Red Devil and it works fine for me. Any reason you're going 5700XT though? nVidia have just released the 3800RTX (which is WAY more powerful for not much more money) and AMD are set to launch their next gen cards on 28th October.

AMD have historically had better Linux drivers + OSX compatibility (I bought mine for use in an eGPU enclosure for my Mac Mini), but nVidia have had the performance crown for some time.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Whats the deal with aftermarket GPUs, I'm after a 5700XT and narrowed it down to

Performance wise they are on par, so most places say it comes down to personal preferences, but as I have not touched anything GPU wise in years how do you go about differentiating between aftermarket GPU providers
        I would Wait as new AMD 6000 series cards are announced on October 28th
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's always something new around the corner!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Not really - its unique at the moment as both Nvidia and AMD are launching at the same time but once AMD have launched their new 6000 GPUs (and the Ryzen 5000 CPUs) that really will be it for 12 to 18 months.

Granted there will be a few cheaper GPUs coming available but from November onwards I suspect there won't be any new top of range releases until 2022.
            Last edited by eek; 21 October 2020, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Pretty much, went for the PowerCore, very happy with the results and performance boost!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I read an article a few years back which explained if you had a job which would take 3 years with current CPUs and your budget constraints, the best option was to do nothing for a 6-12 months because by then you'd be able to buy better/cheaper CPUs and finish the job earlier/cheaper than if you started right away. (numbers may be wrong but the principle was there).
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

D

AMD still making crappy drivers, I would wait for the new GTX 3070 instead. As per your question, they all seem pretty good these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
                    D

AMD still making crappy drivers, I would wait for the new GTX 3070 instead. As per your question, they all seem pretty good these days.
                    Given the lack of 3080 stock issues (one company in China ordered 120,000 for launch and have received 750 I wouldn't expect the 3070 situation to be much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X