Aftermarket GPUs Aftermarket GPUs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

TykeLike

Default Aftermarket GPUs

Whats the deal with aftermarket GPUs, I'm after a 5700XT and narrowed it down to

• PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil
    • SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT

Performance wise they are on par, so most places say it comes down to personal preferences, but as I have not touched anything GPU wise in years how do you go about differentiating between aftermarket GPU providers
    Last edited by SimonMac; 16th October 2020 at 13:32.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Stick with well known brands with reviews.

GeForce, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac etc.

Haven't heard of PowerColor, so they wouldn't be on my list.
    You above all people should know probabilisitic analysis is a stochastic process of independent of deterministic variables subject to constant change....

Contractor Among Contractors

They're all pretty much of a muchness to be honest. I have the Red Devil and it works fine for me. Any reason you're going 5700XT though? nVidia have just released the 3800RTX (which is WAY more powerful for not much more money) and AMD are set to launch their next gen cards on 28th October.

AMD have historically had better Linux drivers + OSX compatibility (I bought mine for use in an eGPU enclosure for my Mac Mini), but nVidia have had the performance crown for some time.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Whats the deal with aftermarket GPUs, I'm after a 5700XT and narrowed it down to

Performance wise they are on par, so most places say it comes down to personal preferences, but as I have not touched anything GPU wise in years how do you go about differentiating between aftermarket GPU providers
    I would Wait as new AMD 6000 series cards are announced on October 28th
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

My post count is Majestic

There's always something new around the corner!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Not really - its unique at the moment as both Nvidia and AMD are launching at the same time but once AMD have launched their new 6000 GPUs (and the Ryzen 5000 CPUs) that really will be it for 12 to 18 months.

Granted there will be a few cheaper GPUs coming available but from November onwards I suspect there won't be any new top of range releases until 2022.
    Last edited by eek; 21st October 2020 at 11:52.

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Pretty much, went for the PowerCore, very happy with the results and performance boost!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

My post count is Majestic

I read an article a few years back which explained if you had a job which would take 3 years with current CPUs and your budget constraints, the best option was to do nothing for a 6-12 months because by then you'd be able to buy better/cheaper CPUs and finish the job earlier/cheaper than if you started right away. (numbers may be wrong but the principle was there).
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post

D

AMD still making crappy drivers, I would wait for the new GTX 3070 instead. As per your question, they all seem pretty good these days.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
    D

AMD still making crappy drivers, I would wait for the new GTX 3070 instead. As per your question, they all seem pretty good these days.
    Given the lack of 3080 stock issues (one company in China ordered 120,000 for launch and have received 750 I wouldn't expect the 3070 situation to be much better.