• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

I'm grudgingly coming round to the idea that some of these IoT gadgets are actually quite neat. But one bug-bear is every single smart-plug or whatever wants you to install its own (cr)App. You can typically control them once installed via Google et al, but I don't want cruddy apps everywhere. And while we're at it, I dislike the idea that sat on my sofa, a command to turn a light on requires a round-trip to the internet.

Can you get products that avoid one or both of these irks? I assume in time some sort of standards will emerge, I know some product ranges use hubs but then the hub needs an app and none of these platforms seem very mature so chances are by the time you want to add another plug, the hub is outdated.

Must be some gadgety types here who have embraced this properly?

edit: this seems a good starting point: Smart plugs no App required? : amazonecho

I hadn't thought that everything needs a roundtrip via the manufacturer's server as well... that just sounds a nightmare with all these dozens of copycat factories churning this stuff out.
    Last edited by d000hg; 27 October 2020, 12:49.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I refuse to have any of that crud in my place. I find it all way too creepy and don't think the convenience is a good enough sell.

If there was a system that used your internal network and didn't go outside for anything then I'd consider it but I don't believe any such thing exists. Gap in the market perhaps?

Comment

Would Open Hab work for you?
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I am a big IoT fan and have umpteen devices in the house.

I use a Smart Plug to control a (standard) reading lamp in the living room and it works with any Amazone Echo device (it doesn't require a smart hub).

TP-Link Tapo Smart Plug Wi-Fi Outlet, Works with Amazon Alexa (Echo and Echo Dot), Google Home, Wireless Smart Socket, Remote Control Timer Switch, Device Sharing, No Hub Required (Tapo P100): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

One of these will do the job.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Would Open Hab work for you?
          Ooh...

Comment

Options:
            1. Get up off the sofa and switch it on manually. No App required.
            2. Not a remote control power switch
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Options:
              I was so hoping that would be a link to a long stick

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I was so hoping that would be a link to a long stick

You mean it's not?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You mean it's not?
                  Maybe it's long to you, but not to LM!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    I am a big IoT fan and have umpteen devices in the house.

I use a Smart Plug to control a (standard) reading lamp in the living room and it works with any Amazone Echo device (it doesn't require a smart hub).

TP-Link Tapo Smart Plug Wi-Fi Outlet, Works with Amazon Alexa (Echo and Echo Dot), Google Home, Wireless Smart Socket, Remote Control Timer Switch, Device Sharing, No Hub Required (Tapo P100): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

One of these will do the job.
                    You still have to install the TP Tapo app though (at least to setup). Granted I'd trust TP-Link a lot more than "Best Smort plug 3334" but still, aren't you reliant on TP's server? i.e. does a command go phone->google->TP->plug or does this one talk directly to Google?

Options:
                    Shouldn't have to remind a moderator not to muck around in the tech forum
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X