• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Would Open Hab work for you?
    Inneresting. I wonder if it'd run on a NAS?

Do others agree this whole IoT will end up standardising so you can just plug something in, and Google/Amazon/Apple does the rest? Of course some don't like being reliant on those guys either but better than nothing IMO.
    Much prefer setup where you no on your network and it provides a little web-page (like your router does) than having 20 different crApps.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You mean it's not?
      Oi! Edit your own posts!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Do others agree this whole IoT will end up standardising so you can just plug something in,
        There are already some wireless IoT standards that don't require internet. Z-Wave, Zigbee and others - these have been around for years. These typically do require a local Hub, however, though Z-Wave also accomodates device-to-device communication (eg, switch to bulb).

Will there ever be one standard? I don't believe so, because of individuals companies self-interest and...

I've automated large parts of my house using both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices and am currently using the SmartThings hub (Samsung). Only a subset of SmartThings operations run locally (many do use the SmartThings cloud) but I could switch to another hub and keep the same devices if I wanted to.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 27 October 2020, 15:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          There are already some wireless IoT standards that don't require internet. Z-Wave, Zigbee and others - these have been around for years. These typically do require a local Hub, however, though Z-Wave also accomodates device-to-device communication (eg, switch to bulb).

Will there ever be one standard? I don't believe so, because of individuals companies self-interest and...

True, but we do end up with things standardising... USB, VHS, DVD, calendar formats. Lots of things in the browser world were created by MS/Google and taken on by others.

I'm still unclear to what extent every smart-plug one buys, means another random server dependency? All these things come from China so does that mean every time I say "Alexa turn on the electric blanket" she sends a request to Amazon.com, which in turn sends a request to ChinaServer289983uhgh, which then sends a request to my plug? How are are my home firewall ports all open to those servers anyway?!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I refuse to have any of that crud in my place. I find it all way too creepy and don't think the convenience is a good enough sell
            Good. Would play havoc with my WiFi camera signals.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

True, but we do end up with things standardising... USB, VHS, DVD, calendar formats. Lots of things in the browser world were created by MS/Google and taken on by others.

I'm still unclear to what extent every smart-plug one buys, means another random server dependency? All these things come from China so does that mean every time I say "Alexa turn on the electric blanket" she sends a request to Amazon.com, which in turn sends a request to ChinaServer289983uhgh, which then sends a request to my plug? How are are my home firewall ports all open to those servers anyway?!
              USB is a standard but not one that has stayed static except in name, and Apple have still done their own thing with lightning etc.

VHS, DVD - there was a battle before these finally "won" (Betamax) and there was a period of overlap where many co-existed and people were left with defunct technology. There was also HD-DVD v BlueRay. Calendar formats? Er, UK v US? Browsers - still very fragmented.

Regarding who knows what your doing with you smart devices, you need to research what you want and what information you are willing to share. Every time you ask Alexa something, it goes to Amazon servers, even if it ends up back controlling (for example) a Z-Wave plug in your house that is otherwise controlled locally. As to firewall ports - its all largely over standard TCP/UDP ports - the ones you agree to when you add the device to your network. The same for Google Home or any other smart home device you choose to install.
              Last edited by Paralytic; 27 October 2020, 17:54.

Comment

Remote Control Plug Socket 30M Range UK Mains Wireless Switch Energy Save Socket | eBay
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  USB is a standard but not one that has stayed static except in name, and Apple have still done their own thing with lightning etc.

VHS, DVD - there was a battle before these finally "won" (Betamax) and there was a period of overlap where many co-existed and people were left with defunct technology. There was also HD-DVD v BlueRay. Calendar formats? Er, UK v US? Browsers - still very fragmented.

Regarding who knows what your doing with you smart devices, you need to research what you want and what information you are willing to share. Every time you ask Alexa something, it goes to Amazon servers, even if it ends up back controlling (for example) a Z-Wave plug in your house that is otherwise controlled locally. As to firewall ports - its all largely over standard TCP/UDP ports - the ones you agree to when you add the device to your network. The same for Google Home or any other smart home device you choose to install.
                  I might not love everything going to Amazon but at least I know it is. But the random Shenzen company selling the smart-plug...

Came across this: Apple, Google, and Amazon are teaming up to develop an open-source smart home standard - The Verge

Comment

I might not love everything going to Amazon but at least I know it is. But the random Shenzen company selling the smart-plug...

Came across this: Apple, Google, and Amazon are teaming up to develop an open-source smart home standard - The Verge
                    That feels worse!

Comment

As per above.

They may well end up agreeing on a single common interface, but it will not be "a standard" for IoT. Do you really think each will not still progress its own agenda, and the market will still have Z-Wave, Zigbee etc

Comment

Working...
                      X