• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple M1 - new Macs use ARM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple M1 - new Macs use ARM

Saw this is now live on the Apple Store. A bit of misinformation around, maybe people here might be able to clear up a couple of things?

Is the new M1 a system-on-a-chip e.g. CPU, GPU and RAM are all integrated? Does this mean a final death knell for any user-upgrades - even now you can upgrade the RAM I think on x64 MacMini et al?

Does this mean new Macs are going to be unable to host Windows Guest OS in tools like Parallels? I read a blog piece but was left unsure if, how and more importantly when this will be possible.

I am chugging on my old MacMini 2012, which is due an upgrade. I've grown to like the Mac for home and hobby use but work is 100% Intel Windows code. If I do not have a definitive path to good Windows performance it seems I might be advised to snap up a modern Intel Mac Mini while I still can - or have I missed a trick?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Saw this is now live on the Apple Store. A bit of misinformation around, maybe people here might be able to clear up a couple of things?

Is the new M1 a system-on-a-chip e.g. CPU, GPU and RAM are all integrated? Does this mean a final death knell for any user-upgrades - even now you can upgrade the RAM I think on x64 MacMini et al?

Does this mean new Macs are going to be unable to host Windows Guest OS in tools like Parallels? I read a blog piece but was left unsure if, how and more importantly when this will be possible.

I am chugging on my old MacMini 2012, which is due an upgrade. I've grown to like the Mac for home and hobby use but work is 100% Intel Windows code. If I do not have a definitive path to good Windows performance it seems I might be advised to snap up a modern Intel Mac Mini while I still can - or have I missed a trick?
    Yes, Yes and possible Yes (as Parallels now includes CPUs within it's requirements).

And you are probably too late as I think the last decent upgradable Mac Minis are the 2012 ones.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Yes, Yes and possible Yes (as Parallels now includes CPUs within it's requirements).

And you are probably too late as I think the last decent upgradable Mac Minis are the 2012 ones.

You can still upgrade the memory on iMac, but not on the Mini (as you say, since 2012)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hmm, I thought they made the 2014 Mini non-upgradeable but back-tracked in 2018 which was generally a pretty big upgrade. Wikipedia agrees but suggests it is not officially supported.

The 2018 version is also pretty expensive. Online right now, the base model starts at £1100!

Comment

Buy a £100-£150 Haswell based 4 core i5 corporate machine (2015-ish), put a SSD in it and Hackintosh it. Great performance and will run Big Sur when it's released tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
            Buy a £100-£150 Haswell based 4 core i5 corporate machine (2015-ish), put a SSD in it and Hackintosh it. Great performance and will run Big Sur when it's released tomorrow.
            You do it, I'll pay you £200 for it.

Comment

The chip appears very impressive.

Apple M1 Chip - Apple

My concern is that does this mean an end to upgradable systems? The DRAM is built into the same silicon as the CPU and GPU so no upgrades.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Apple M1 Chip - Apple

My concern is that does this mean an end to upgradable systems? The DRAM is built into the same silicon as the CPU and GPU so no upgrades.
                Yes - mind you most Macs haven't been human upgradeable for a very long time.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Apple M1 Chip - Apple

The main point of this chip is in portable computing or VSFF units.

How upgradeable were laptops in the past?
                  ...and in reality, what % of laptop owners did upgrades after purchase?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Apple claims their new M1 processor is powerful enough for their new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini – But if you’re an Apple fan, should you be excited - Or very, very worried?
                    I'd say if you're an Apple fan you're well used to being reamed on the non-upgradability and built in obsolescence, and willing to pay over the odds for the brand tax.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X