• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac mini 2012: Replace OS with esxi or windows 10?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac mini 2012: Replace OS with esxi or windows 10?

I have a 2012 Mac Mac mini. specs are i7 Quad core 2.0Ghz, 16GB ram 2X 2TB SSD. Currently running High Sierra Mac OS.

Stored away and used as a Plex server. It also hosts a couple of windows VMware vm's that I spin up when required.

It's have been an excellent kit but due to lack of new OS support its becoming very annoying of late despite a fresh install. Remote login to the Mac is not as fast as it used to be. Sometimes when the vm's choke up the Mac also freezes which is surprising for a vm to affect the host pc. However the Plex server runs perfectly without transcoding issues.

The newer Mac mini is not an option, not enough space for too much money and I could do with going down the windows route anyway. Before ditching the Mac mini for a NUC pc or similar form factor, I thought It might be a good idea to try either of these 2 options:-

1) Native install of Windows 10 on the Mac mini so I can run my Plex server and also install VMware workstation for my VMs
    2) Install Vmware ESXi and run Plex in a windows 10 vm. Also hopping my existing vm's can also run under ESXi.

Which of these 2 options will give the best performance?

Thanks

you can use Bootcamp for Windows install on the Mac.
    Can you do ESX installs though? I've never tried.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You can install Catalina and I think your spec MM is the oldest that will support Big Sur.

BootCamp with W10 sounds it might be the best option for raw performance if you have no interest in Mac at all.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Too old for Big Sur to work OOB, however it can be installed with "tweaks".

Comment

Just checked my Mac mini, it's actually 2011 not 2012 so Catalina is not officially supported.

I think, I'll give the bootcamp a go since I have a spare SSD so minimal impact on the system.

If l was looking out for another system (since intel generation 2 cpu) the Dell Optiplex micro has a similar footprint and I guess built to last. Any other brands to consider?. It's a shame thinking about ditching the Mac mini because I love it's minimal power consumption, one of the reasons I run Plex on it compared to my Synology that consumes twice as much wattage on standby and spinning 2X8TB drives up and down unnecessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
            Too old for Big Sur to work OOB, however it can be installed with "tweaks".
            Seems like you can't have Wifi which appears very odd though I haven't time to look into it right now

Comment

9 year old computer, maybe not time to retire it?

I know you are all on your last few pounds, but maybe treat yourself to a new one and donate the computer to a museum?

Last edited by _V_; 18 November 2020, 09:03.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                9 year old computer, maybe not time to retire it?

I know you are all on your last few pounds, but maybe treat yourself to a new one and donate the computer to a museum?

only just though.
                My 2012 Macbook pro retina is fine.
                Battery life is around 2 hours now, and it's not the fastest device around. But for a £2k investment it's doing alright.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  only just though.
                  My 2012 Macbook pro retina is fine.
                  Battery life is around 2 hours now, and it's not the fastest device around. But for a £2k investment it's doing alright.
                  Same here, I have a 2012 Mac pro retina as well. Slick and still going mega strong. I have been thinking of moving back to windows but impossible to find one with similar build quality, touchpad and decent graphics for VR. Razer blade comes close with it's unibody design but the reviews are not so favourable on the temperature.

Comment

If it works, why replace it?

Comment

Working...
                    X