• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth buying a NAS with a 'proper' CPU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    For Plex you'd want good CPU with iGPU that can compress/decompress modern formats.

Just got QNAP NAS for myself actually, not a cheap game especially with lots of 18 TB disks involved

Unraid is a better solution - just add decent memory and a cpu and you can run various VMs or bits off it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Unraid is a better solution - just add decent memory and a cpu and you can run various VMs or bits off it.
      Maybe, but for lazy people like myself QNAP seems to do the job (at a price, but with 18 TB disks cost of HDDs make up majority of the thing anyway) - it can run VMs also, but not interested in that (at the moment at least)

Comment

What model AtW? I'm assuming higher end than I'd justify - don't you have multiple petabytes available at work though?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It’s for personal home use, I’ve got this one - TVS-872XT | Breakthrough performance and outstanding connectivity with 10GbE, Thunderbolt™ 3, and M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD slots | QNAP (UK)

It’s a bit of an overkill, but that’s the way I like it when it comes to storage...

Comment

Regarding NAS data speeds, the raspberry Pi4 has enough grunt to saturate your gigabit network for reading, and push it to about 65% for writing. Well fast enough for backups, say. Raspberry Pi 4 Real World Tests | Unix etc.

Good question re NAS. I pondered it and came down on the side of quiet, low current home made solutions instead. Sorry to bore you with my setup, but here it is:

For TV I use OSMC on a Pi2 connected to the main telly, which allows TV/Recording viewing on remote devices and even over the Internet. The "yahtse" add-on is useful for throwing Internet videos to the main TV.

For backups I have two "targets": an old NAS box and 2 USB drives that go offsite. The NAS box therefore has no RAID. Mind you "offsite" just means "the car" these days.

The NAS might soon be replaced by just attaching a USB disk to my router (Netgear D7800, dual CPU). Tests how it can read at 90 MB/s and write at 45. Not quite as fast as the Pi4 but 3 times faster than the old NAS. Testing shows router power consumption increases by only 1.6W with the disk attached (varying to 1.2 W on spin-down to 4.4 W when copying a large file). So its pretty "green".

Comment

I use a Lenovo TS140 that I got off whilst they were doing cashback. It has a baby Xeon which is enough for transcoding stuff on Plex if needs be.

You need to decide if you want a NAS or a server. Personally I would go for separation of duties. I *can* run loads of stuff on my NAS, but every time I tinker there's a possibility that I could break it, and for a NAS which is actually serving media content/backups/general storage, I can just live without the risk.

I stuck a USB stick in the front running FreeNAS and it's as bullet proof as anything I've ever used to be honest.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                I use a Lenovo TS140 that I got off whilst they were doing cashback. It has a baby Xeon which is enough for transcoding stuff on Plex if needs be.

You need to decide if you want a NAS or a server. Personally I would go for separation of duties. I *can* run loads of stuff on my NAS, but every time I tinker there's a possibility that I could break it, and for a NAS which is actually serving media content/backups/general storage, I can just live without the risk.

I stuck a USB stick in the front running FreeNAS and it's as bullet proof as anything I've ever used to be honest.
                The ability to tinker is why I switched back to Unraid from FreeNAS. All tinkering (and I do offload stuff onto the server fairly often) is done in a VM or container.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  For Plex you'd want good CPU with iGPU that can compress/decompress modern formats.:
                  What do you call modern, h.265, mobile/tablet retina/4k resolution mp4?

I've converted my favourite videos that aren't still on dvd/blu-ray to h.264 mp4 so no transcoding required when watching on my TV via plex server on my piNas and Roku streaming device attached to my TV.

Will try a h.265 conversion when I get around to it (now I've got an AMD 3900 based PC with 12c/24t that does a VOB to h.264 conversion in handbrake in under 15 mins, so h.265 shouldn't take 'a long time' ), to see how much disk space saved over h.264, but may only be worthwhile for HD/4k formats, then a beefy cpu is required to handle those, but for now my piNAS is coping fine with my average needs.

Just hope they stop re-inventing the wheel in terms of video compression formats, requiring more cpu power to watch the same crappy videos that started out on VHS.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

H.267 ...

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      For backups I have two "targets": an old NAS box and 2 USB drives that go offsite. The NAS box therefore has no RAID. Mind you "offsite" just means "the car" these days.
                      How do you actually do the backup? Some scheduled script you put together or something that's running constantly in the background? Does it have the ability to reverse-sync i.e. if your drive breaks, you don't have to do anything to get data back on the new one?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X