• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

144Hrz at 4k requires HDMI 2.1 (new 3000 series from NVIDIA and 6000 series from AMD) or dual DisplayPort 1.4 connections (which got nasty side effects of losing GSYNC).

120 Hrz is ok on DisplayPort 1.4 tho

Whichever monitor it's highly recommended to make sure it supports either FreeSync of GSYNC, best to have it GSYNC compatible - I personally find it is better even in 2D operations, even though this just might be effect of high refresh rate.

Comment

What did you go for in the end Dave?

The Dell U2520D seems destined to be the kids monitor now so I’m looking at the BenQ EX3501R for me now
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        What did you go for in the end Dave?

The Dell U2520D seems destined to be the kids monitor now so I’m looking at the BenQ EX3501R for me now
        Went for the LG27UL850 - 27" UHD 4K in the end. Nothing else came up with a better spec for the money. Had it a few weeks and very pleased with it. It's not doing any heavy lifting in terms of pushing the screen quality etc, it's second monitor for keeping a browser / email / reference docs etc open while I work on the mainscreen.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Went for the LG27UL850 - 27" UHD 4K in the end. Nothing else came up with a better spec for the money. Had it a few weeks and very pleased with it. It's not doing any heavy lifting in terms of pushing the screen quality etc, it's second monitor for keeping a browser / email / reference docs etc open while I work on the mainscreen.
          How's the text size at 4k on a 27" panel? Need binoculars or the best eyesight in the world, or increase default font size so the 4k is only really beneficial for images and graphics?

I have a 24" QHD (2560x1440) as a cheap non-gaming monitor after seeing it on offer for £125 via Hotukdeals and not sure I could live with something with significantly smaller pixels.

Also have a 40" 4k monitor which at times feels a bit overkill when not using the full screen space available, couldn't imagine shrinking that down to 27" with my eyesight getting well into old fogie needs reading glasses stage.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            How's the text size at 4k on a 27" panel? Need binoculars or the best eyesight in the world, or increase default font size so the 4k is only really beneficial for images and graphics?

I have a 24" QHD (2560x1440) as a cheap non-gaming monitor after seeing it on offer for £125 via Hotukdeals and not sure I could live with something with significantly smaller pixels.

Also have a 40" 4k monitor which at times feels a bit overkill when not using the full screen space available, couldn't imagine shrinking that down to 27" with my eyesight getting well into old fogie needs reading glasses stage.
            It's been fine. Only thing I needed to do was fiddle with the brightness / contrast balance to get it how I like it. Text is perfectly readable at standard font sizes without having to get too close etc. and I need glasses for anything more than foot away these days.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Also have a 40" 4k monitor ...
              I use a 4K 42" telly, works a treat, lots of space, font large enough that I can read it !
              Best productivity improvement I've made in years.

Comment

I'm using BenQ EX3501R will never go back to two screens when one will do, image wise its not as sharp as the Dell UltraSharp but for general office work the retail space is epic and forr light entertainment use (video play back and low resource games) it's more than fine
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm looking to change from two older screens to one larger screen. I'm having some difficulty differentiating between the larger widescreen models. As mentioned in this thread the font size can be so small that it starts to cause hassle with some client laptops, more so those not using Windows 10.

I see some deals on 32" and 34" widescreen monitors, but to be honest I'm not sure they look as practical as I had first imagined.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	best-34-inch-monitors-medium.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	4180260

The one on the far right looks usable and better for reviewing documents side by side and having lots of apps open. The height of the widescreen screens looks compromised. Is anybody seriously using one of these for lots of document work? I'm interested to hear. Ideally I would try one on for size before committing but don't think that is possible.

Looking to spend £130 to £250 on a single monitor solution, but just for work, rather than gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                    I'm looking to change from two older screens to one larger screen. I'm having some difficulty differentiating between the larger widescreen models. As mentioned in this thread the font size can be so small that it starts to cause hassle with some client laptops, more so those not using Windows 10.

The one on the far right looks usable and better for reviewing documents side by side and having lots of apps open. The height of the widescreen screens looks compromised. Is anybody seriously using one of these for lots of document work? I'm interested to hear. Ideally I would try one on for size before committing but don't think that is possible.

Looking to spend £130 to £250 on a single monitor solution, but just for work, rather than gaming.
                    Per my recommendation (one of the early posts on this thread), I've been using a 34 inch wide screen monitor now for about a year or so and it's great for having multiple documents open. I tend to split the screen into two halves and then have things open side by side. I tend not to have anything open full screen as it's just not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Per my recommendation (one of the early posts on this thread), I've been using a 34 inch wide screen monitor now for about a year or so and it's great for having multiple documents open. I tend to split the screen into two halves and then have things open side by side. I tend not to have anything open full screen as it's just not necessary.
                      It looks good, but seems to have mixed reviews for use with Macbooks. I'm mostly on Windows, but sometimes have to use a Macbook for one client.

It appears expensive at first glance. I'm guessing this is "gaming ready" and has the usual expensive sub 1ms specification associated with that? As I'm not gaming and just burdened with documents I'm looking to spend at least half that price to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                      X