• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Etsy/Amazon type website template or packages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Anyone know if there are pre-built packages for these sites where users upload their products and the user can browse them via various critera down the left? Bit like Etsy, Amazon, Ebay and so on? Preferably with plenty of options in the backend and some kind of analytics? Does this style of website have a name I could look around for?

I'm looking to customise so if there is a pre-built option is adding options on difficult with them and I'm better going bespoke?

Any help, tips advice appreciated thank you.

P.S my accountant doesn't have a clue.
    Can be done quite easily with Wordpress and something like Woo Commerce, it's all about how much effort you want to put in
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Got a bit further with those two suggestions but unsure if they are self shopping options. I'm looking for one that users can upload a spreadsheet of goods for their shop rather than me do it? Is that just a configuration of the e-commerce sites?

Any more advice appreciated.
      Product CSV Importer and Exporter - WooCommerce Docs
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
        I was contemplating a similar idea couple of years ago. What I have realised is that uploading products/services through spreadsheet requires a custom plugin/development. This is because each product being uploaded have a number of different attributes. For e.g. a laptop's searchable attributes are completely different from that of a rice cooker.

Now accommodating all these various searchable attributes via a relational database (RDBMS) is a nightmare. The appropriate DB for this use case would be a document db like MongoDB. But most of the ready made / off the shelf scripts use a RDBMS such as MySQL and PHP.

Googling Etsy clone or Ebay clone shows plenty of ready made scripts but none provides the option you are looking for.
        The searchables are pretty simple as it will be catagoriesed rather than keyword searching. The clone search is great. Plenty of them there and now I know I'm looking for multi vendor marketplace will help as well thank you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Can be done quite easily with Wordpress and something like Woo Commerce, it's all about how much effort you want to put in
          Yeah I'm starting to see this. I'm willing to get this done properly but got to keep an eye on the costs as it's not going to be a big cash generator for awhile. Certainly can't do everything I want off the bat.

That CSV import thing is perfect. Each vendor will only have a few products so I need to think about the simplest way of getting them in bearing in mind these people won't be IT literate.

A better way might actually be going to their page, picking the product and getting my page to replicate a few pieces of text from their page and have a set refresh time to pick it up again. I assume this is pretty straight forward? There must be plug in's to get and refresh data from another site?

As all sites are different I'd want a profile for each vendor I can save and use...

As I say, could get very complex this so need to find someone to build it that's willing to help not just churn out code. How i find someone to do that will be the basis of my next post.

Comment

Long back I used to work in a project that did something similar to "price comparison" site for fashion industry. The general approach was,

1. Visit the vendor's product page and identify the pattern (e.g. Title, Colour, Size, Type)
            2. Identify important searchable attributes
            3. Crawl the website product pages, dump it to DB.
            4. Use multiple IP addresses while crawling as using single IP is most likely to get blocked.

Similar to the above, after the initial crawling, you could come up with a standard excel sheet that the vendor can populate and upload.

By the way, these days you need to consider the cost of developing App for at least Android and iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Was the point not that multiple vendors had to be able to upload their products ? Woocommerce can't do that on it's own. There are a myriad of plugins to do this with though, but I think they're all 'paid' and the cheaper ones I've tried are tulip. He might need to go down t'bank and take some guineas out.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Was the point not that multiple vendors had to be able to upload their products ? Woocommerce can't do that on it's own. There are a myriad of plugins to do this with though, but I think they're all 'paid' and the cheaper ones I've tried are tulip. He might need to go down t'bank and take some guineas out.
                That's an option. Each vendor will only have like max 9 products per week so could be manual to start off if the scraping method bigdata mentions is slick.

Willing to pay for this but I've no idea what full sites cost so need to go ask around once i've got a clue and won't have my pants pulled down

Comment

That's an option. Each vendor will only have like max 9 products per week so could be manual to start off if the scraping method bigdata mentions is slick.

Willing to pay for this but I've no idea what full sites cost so need to go ask around once i've got a clue and won't have my pants pulled down
                  Just thought of an idea. Try signing up to Amazon as a seller/merchant and study what sort of interface, approach they use for uploading products. I am sure that will be an eye opener.

Comment

PM'd You....
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

There is a multi vendor plugin for WooCommerce. All of the Vendors share the same storefront.

Linky
                      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Working...
                      X