• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Etsy/Amazon type website template or packages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etsy/Amazon type website template or packages?

Anyone know if there are pre-built packages for these sites where users upload their products and the user can browse them via various critera down the left? Bit like Etsy, Amazon, Ebay and so on? Preferably with plenty of options in the backend and some kind of analytics? Does this style of website have a name I could look around for?

I'm looking to customise so if there is a pre-built option is adding options on difficult with them and I'm better going bespoke?

Any help, tips advice appreciated thank you.

P.S my accountant doesn't have a clue.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Square Space gets advertised quite a bit. Maybe worth a look?

Comment

There's a multi vendor plug in for Wordpress/Woocommerse that I used to build something for someone a couple of years ago but can't remember the name.

Either your accountant or Google will know though

Is this a Yorkshire project ? (i.e. free software required) or are you going to crowbar some groats out of your tunic for this ??
      Last edited by TestMangler; 10 January 2021, 16:21.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        There's a multi vendor plug in for Wordpress/Woocommerse that I used to build something for someone a couple of years ago but can't remember the name.

Either your accountant or Google will know though
        Isn't about time for your weekly swear filter ban??

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Isn't about time for your weekly swear filter ban??
          I thought they'd stopped banning people for that now, seeing Atw got away with a c*** or two.

I'll try it and see

Comment

Got a bit further with those two suggestions but unsure if they are self shopping options. I'm looking for one that users can upload a spreadsheet of goods for their shop rather than me do it? Is that just a configuration of the e-commerce sites?

Any more advice appreciated.

Comment

Got a bit further with those two suggestions but unsure if they are self shopping options. I'm looking for one that users can upload a spreadsheet of goods for their shop rather than me do it? Is that just a configuration of the e-commerce sites?

So you just ignored my suggestion then

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                So you just ignored my suggestion then
                Would I do that? I did have a look. Went over and had a look at it, did a search around the web for sites using it etc... Unforunately I'm not much clearer. I've got a ton more questions about engaging companies to implement it and the like so need a pretty clear view of what I want first.

Comment

I was contemplating a similar idea couple of years ago. What I have realised is that uploading products/services through spreadsheet requires a custom plugin/development. This is because each product being uploaded have a number of different attributes. For e.g. a laptop's searchable attributes are completely different from that of a rice cooker.

Now accommodating all these various searchable attributes via a relational database (RDBMS) is a nightmare. The appropriate DB for this use case would be a document db like MongoDB. But most of the ready made / off the shelf scripts use a RDBMS such as MySQL and PHP.

Googling Etsy clone or Ebay clone shows plenty of ready made scripts but none provides the option you are looking for.
                  Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 January 2021, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Now accommodating all these various searchable attributes via a relational database (RDBMS) is a nightmare. The appropriate DB for this use case would be a document db like MongoDB. But most of the ready made / off the shelf scripts use a RDBMS such as MySQL and PHP.
                    It's not really a nightmare with an RDBMS, but is a bit more complex than your standard e-commerce site. You just have to define a solution that work with pre-defined metadata (and sometimes even meta-metadata).

I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf package that provides that, however.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 11 January 2021, 09:51.

Comment

Working...
                    X