• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antivirus recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antivirus recommendations?

Hi Guys,

Having finally made the move from ME to XP, I need to upgrade my AV.

I have been using PC-Cillin 2000 for the last two years (free with my online Bank Account). However it does not run on XP.
    They are offering an upgrade to PC-Cillin 2003 for Bank Customers at £14.99. Seems a good price. (Comes with a firewall as well, which I've never needed until I went XP. Started to get messages from complete strangers!.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good AV I should seek out? (Or maybe a package which includes AV?)

I looked at Norton recently, with Ghost and a few other add ons.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences!?

Cheers,

Mike

Being a cheap jock I use AVG antvirus from Grisoft and Zone Alarm firewall.

The essential quality of both being that they are free.

Comment

Stay clear of McAffee.

Damn thing slowed down my PC with all the rubbish it installed (most of which I didn't want or need).

I'm very happy with Norton and sygate now.

Comment

Kerio is highhly recommended too

This one was recommended to me by a TCP/IP expert, and it's free for personal / home use.

www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

Comment

Re: Kerio is highhly recommended too

Thanks all.

I'm currently trying Kerio (very nice) and AVG (also nice).

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

I'm using the Norton Internet Security suite on my XP Pro laptop.

It was around £40 for the first year (includes firewall, AV, parental control and all kind of stuff like that). AV subscriptions for future years is below £20 I believe...

A word of advice - pop into PC World to buy it, rather than downloading. I had a few problems with that.

HTH,

Kev

Comment

Word of good advice -never buy ANYTHING from PC world - they're a bunch of con-artists...

...trust me

Comment

Trend

Trend PC-Cillin gets my vote everytime. I still use it at home, however, my business has now expanded and we recently installed Trend corporate software ..dogs bollocks!!!:hat

Comment

Re: Trend

I have been using PC-Cillin 2000 for the last two years (free with my online Bank Account). However it does not run on XP.
                  Errr - my copy does!

You got it from The Halifax, yes?

Runs fine on Home & Professional.

Still getting (almost) daily updates too, and I know it works fine, because I've never been infected.

Of course, part of that might be because I use a proper email system (Novell's GroupWise 6 - Part of Small Business Suite 6 (I am a CNS, so can give SBS 6 away for peanuts incidentally)), rather than Outlook - but I wouldn't like to put it to the test!

Comment

Working...
                  X