• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Router Set-up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router Set-up

I have just had broadband installed on a single Windows PC, but I would like to link up another local Windows PC to use the same internet connection. What is the best way to do this?

read manual? seriously, you just need to connect PCs to router using normal RJ45 ethernet cables and configure routers to work with your internet connection. you may want to consult manual for that.

AtW

- proud owner of 2 routers

Comment

re:

cheers AtW. wheres the best place to get routers? whats the usual cost?

Comment

If it is an ADSL modem

You can use the Speedtouch 570 ADSL modem/Wireless router. Costs about £250 and works a treat .

You'll need a wireless PCI or PMCIA card in at least one of the computers. Check out dslsource.co.uk - they do some good deals.

I set this up without knowing anything about networking remarkably painlessly so t's not rocket science.

Comment

Re: If it is an ADSL modem

Reynolds,

Try Dabs.com

Comment

re:

cheers mon amies

Comment

Re: re:

ok, first WHAT to get: routers are typically 4+ ports - ie you can connect that many devices to them. Its a good idea to buy WiFi capable or enabled routers.

Also watchout for different type of routers: DSL/cable modem (straight rj45 ethernet connection) and ASDL (USB, sometimes ethernet). These are not the same! Some of newer routers include built in ASDL modems.

Wireless: this is a must have, or definately will be - its better to buy router with build in WiFi, sometimes you can get WiFi upgradeable - you can use your own PCMCIA card. If you dont see need for WiFi now, then just buy normal router, you can always buy standalone WiFi access point and connect it to router (like i did).

good consumer grade brands: Linksys, SMC

Places to buy: you can start from Ebay to check min prices you can expect to pay, check local comp fair if you have one near you (www.computermarkets.co.uk - just one example) or try dabs.com, ebuyer.com etc

note: do NOT buy cheap Belkin 4 port router, expect to pay 70-80 quid for brand new 4 port quality router.

Comment

re:

what about:
                www.dabs.com/products/pro...klinx=13K0

??

Comment

Re: re:

i've got this one its not the best -- has issues with blueyonder connections that I use, pain in arse. I sorted it by getting 7 port SMC barricade -- much more mature router. I would not advise to get the cheapest router like Belkin's because there are some limitations in them such as lack of support for Universal Plug and Play - this means MSN won't play nicely for example.

Comment

re: bottleneck

whats the slowest PC you could feasibily use on a broadband connection via a router. one of my PC's is slow...i mean REAL slow but i want it for network file storage.

Comment

Working...
                    X