• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Win XP install over Win ME

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win XP install over Win ME

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have read (And answered - thanks) my post about my slow ME machine.

Well, I've bitten the bullet and purchase XP Pro. Software should arrive soon.

The question is, do I just install over ME (as I remember doing when I upgrade win3.11 to win95 many years ago!) or do I have to install ME first?

Cheers,

Mike

PS. You may have noticed I'm not the worlds most technical person!

assuming

you've bought the 'full' version and not an upgrade (if it exists in winxp?) then best is a reformat of at least the partition containing your os and a clean rebuild. don't know if xp will upgrade win me but best is always reformat/rebuild.

Comment

Re: assuming

Yes it's the full version.

I'm not sure a format of the partition the OS is in, is a good idea for me, as everything is under the C: drive (doh!).

So, can I just format the WinME (delete everything in Windows directory?) or would I be better off uninstalling WinME?

Comment

Provided your hardware is XP compliant, and you have plenty of room on your hard drive, then upgrading (without deleting anything) should go along quiet smoothly. But do make a backup of any important data and applications beforehand, this is most important.

Another thing to note is that you should apply the service pack and patches. Almost all my technical problems with XP were solved by doing this.

If the SP isn't included in the box when it arrives, be sure to either download it (if you have a broadband connection) or pop down to your local newsagents and get a copy stuck on the front of a magazine.

The patches include driver updates. There are also DirectX and other improvements.

Comment

Thanks. Will let you know how I get on!

Comment

do not upgrade -- install into new directory which would keep your old winme install for software that does not work well in XP. Also, if you go that route then create new drive because if you install into same drive with me then Program Files will be screwed and while majority of software in it will keep running - some wont. Create a new drive for XP and install there.

Comment

Ok.Thanks.

How do I create a new drive...

Sorry to be so technically incompetant!

Comment

you should be able to do that during Win xp install, consider not craeting NTFS drive to be able to read from it when you boot win me.

Comment

Upgrade all done and appears successful!

Antivirus software won't run as I have to upgrade!..

I think I'll look at Norton instead of PC Cillin (which is what I was running.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Both PC Cillin and Norton are believed to have a minor issue with MS Outlook.

I use PC Cillin 2000 with XP and have no problems - but then I use Groupwise which can't be attacked by viruses directly, unlike Exchange/Outlook.

Comment

Working...
                    X