• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network Routing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Routing

I have a Microsoft VPN that I use to connect to a client. The client has provided an EXE that sets up this connection on my computer.

The connection has been set up to route all traffic to the client, so even though I am in my office, this post is being submitted from my clients network.

I don't want all my internet traffic to be routed via my clients network, for obvious reasons, however the VPN connection that has been created is locked down so I can't change the settings.

I am vaugly familiar with routing tables (in that I know they exist) and have used route delete and route add to remove access to our mailserver from their network by doing the following:

route delete <mailserver IP>
    route add <mailserver IP> <local gateway>

However what I want to do is a route delete / add for all traffic apart from what is intended to go to their network. The IP address of all servers I connect to start with the same number.

Can I use route delete / add to route everything apart from IP's that start with that number via my local gateway in one go?
    Still Invoicing

Split tunnelling is what you need, however you're client will probably frown on this due to the increased security risks...
    B00med!

Comment

Split tunneling is not an option, the client is very cautious.

They even block all POP3 access from their netowrk, hence me having to do a route delete / add from our mailserver, just so I don't have to use webmail.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

How about running a VM on your machine and use that for non client related activities?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You need to set your default gateway to your ISP, and specific subnets to go via your VPN connection. I've done this at Client co before.

netstat -rn will give you a listing of your routing table

and here's a link with a bit more detail on the commands you need to issue:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...routing-table/
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

If you can access it, there's an option something like "use default gateway on remote network" in the MS VPN setup.

But I think you can do something like:

route ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x METRIC 3

where x.x.x.x is your ISPs address to effectively replace the default gateway.

Then add another route with a lower (higher?) metric for your client's IPs to route to their gateway.

Might be wrong on the specifics.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              If you can access it, there's an option something like "use default gateway on remote network" in the MS VPN setup.

But I think you can do something like:

route ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x METRIC 3

where x.x.x.x is your ISPs address to effectively replace the default gateway.

Then add another route with a lower (higher?) metric for your client's IPs to route to their gateway.

Might be wrong on the specifics.
              I knew about the setting in networks, but it's disabled

The route add mask wotsit sounds like what I need, I'll look into that.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

I think DaveB was closest to my suggestion, use static IP's on your network. Then use a VM guest for your client activities (+own IP for VPN connections etc). Your host then uses your local network and whatever you like IMAP/POP. Use shared folders(VPC equiv) for sharing files between hosts/guest.
                Last edited by weboo; 6 August 2008, 14:02.

Comment

Working...
                X