• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know a good place for refurb servers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey - that price has doubled in 7 days !!! It's now 383 + VAT. OFFS.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that earlier too.

I will be in the market for a cheap new server, but can't push the button for a sale until (maybe) the second half of this week. Meantime, the price keeps going up.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        you can pick up a new ML115 for very little and i can vouch they are a great buy: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=buy+ml115&meta=

I used serversdirect.co.uk for mine and it arrived speedy.
        Durbs

Are these things good enough to run IIS and be used as a web server run from home????

Comment

I'm looking for a UNIX box I can run an R/3 installation.

Saw a Sun E10000 on Ebay for $4500. Thought I could double it up as a wendy house for the kids or a very cool looking Tardis should I ever need to turn up at a party as Dr Who.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by techno View Post
            Durbs

Are these things good enough to run IIS and be used as a web server run from home????
            Yes, they are more than up to that job. Are you thinking of hosting sites via a DSL with fixed IP?

I did that for a year a while back but theres various issues to consider if going that route (assuming these are live sites and not just test sites) and i ended up leasing a server in a datacenter instead.

But power and speed wise, no problem. Whack a bit more cheap memory in and job's a goodun'.

Comment

Durbs

I have been having problems with my hosting site and have now just found out they do not support Reporting Services on their SQL Server 2005 packages.

I am now looking to just host my company website and the other "plan b" website on a server at home so I have full access to it and how it is setup. I certainly don't want to go down the road of being a hosting site for other websites.

Comment

Didnt mean providing hosting services, just meant if you are using it for your Co website i.e. you want Joe public to view it 24x7 then i found ADSL is not reliable enough BUT just depends on how important 99% uptime is to you.

Comment

Originally posted by techno View Post
                  I am now looking to just host my company website and the other "plan b" website on a server at home so I have full access to it and how it is setup.
                  Can I advise against the hosting at home? I’ve been doing that for a little bit, but now I’m looking for a new hosting company. For a start, it might be against the terms of service of your ISP. I have ADSL2+ and only a handful of customers but it’s still slow. Being in domestic premises, there is no guarantee of continuous power (I’ve had an unscheduled/unannounced 4 hour power cut). My former telco (C&W – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again) once had a fault that they couldn’t/wouldn’t repair and said there they had no obligation to provide a service level of any kind and they would give me a service when they were good and ready and not before.

However, home hosting is tops for setting up, demos, tests, etc.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Can I advise against the hosting at home? I’ve been doing that for a little bit, but now I’m looking for a new hosting company. For a start, it might be against the terms of service of your ISP. I have ADSL2+ and only a handful of customers but it’s still slow. Being in domestic premises, there is no guarantee of continuous power (I’ve had an unscheduled/unannounced 4 hour power cut). My former telco (C&W – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again) once had a fault that they couldn’t/wouldn’t repair and said there they had no obligation to provide a service level of any kind and they would give me a service when they were good and ready and not before.

However, home hosting is tops for setting up, demos, tests, etc.
                    Web browsers are coming in the wrong way up the pipe. Even if you've got super speedy ADSL, its upstream speed is a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                      ... coming in the wrong way up the pipe...
                      Aye, I know.

But it's starndard for me (and AtW)

Comment

Working...
                      X