• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know a good place for refurb servers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Can I advise against the hosting at home? I’ve been doing that for a little bit, but now I’m looking for a new hosting company. For a start, it might be against the terms of service of your ISP. I have ADSL2+ and only a handful of customers but it’s still slow. Being in domestic premises, there is no guarantee of continuous power (I’ve had an unscheduled/unannounced 4 hour power cut). My former telco (C&W – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again) once had a fault that they couldn’t/wouldn’t repair and said there they had no obligation to provide a service level of any kind and they would give me a service when they were good and ready and not before.

However, home hosting is tops for setting up, demos, tests, etc.
    After doing some research over the weekend, this seems to be the general consensus, i.e. don't run home web servers for all the reasons you have outlined.

I have found a hosting company called DiscountASP.Net who say they offer Reporting Services as an addon to the SQL Server option.

Does anyone have any horror stories / good stories about them? I am waiting to hear from their sales people what my monthly cost would be.

TIA

Comment

Working...
    X