• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All-In-One PC or All-In-One Apple Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-In-One PC or All-In-One Apple Mac

Hi there,

I am looking to update my desktop and laptop computers.

I would like something good for multi-media as I do a lot of photography and I am hoping to move into film this year. I also want something with good graphics and sound for iplayer watching and a really good screen.

I have seen a couple of Macs and PCs which are all in one, that is all of the PC/Sound etc is housed in the screen.

I like these because:
    • It really cuts down on wires.
    • Looks very cool with a 24" screen.
    • I can move from the study into the bedroom on duvet days for Mrs BB and I to watch movies/iPlayer TV on a good size screen.

But they are quiet expensive.

Firstly: Is all-in-one the way to go, or is there another alternative that is available.

Secondly Should I go PC or Mac. What is the benefit of the Mac for multi-media or is it just brand snobbery.

Thirdly: Which models to consider...

I have found the following on dell.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busi...bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

and this one for Mac

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iMac-24inch-...680863&sr=8-27

Comments really welcome....
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

A Dell over a Mac? No contest. Even in terms of customer service alone. Haven't got time to go into detail right now, will later, but you won't regret buying the Mac.

Comment

I have an all in one iMac in one room and a Mac Mini of many parts in another room and I can't give you any seriously important reason why one is better than the other.

Some minor points.

The iMac setup involves fewer cables. If you use bluetooth for mouse and keyboard then you are only dealing with one power cable. This, plus it contains everything you need, is why I think it is an ideal machine for the family.

The iMac screen does not accept video from an alternative source. This means you can use it as a second monitor for a laptop. I often have to use a PC laptop and my Mac Mini arrangement, with an external monitor (with VGA, Digital and HDMI), means I can switch between the different computers connect at the press of a switch.

Comment

Seconded.

For ease of use and general improvement in quality, Mac every time.

You thought about the Macbook? Buy from the refurbished store, get yourself a HDMI adaptor and plug it straight into your telly. You'll need to plug the audio out into something, or use the lappy speakers but it works.

I used to have a powerbook which I dropped then hammered back into shape with no problems. You can't do that with a Dell...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Why not get a large "laptop"? or a regular laptop + docking station and screen/keyboard

For graphics and video editing, there is probably better software on the Mac

And as for Apple offering better customer service than Dell... All i've heard about Apple support is horror stories of PC's being sent back and taking a long time to be returned.
          Apple do offer on site support at extra cost, but then so do Dell and my personal experience with Dell support (dealing with enterprise class hardware for an ex-employer and my own personal laptop) has been nothing but good
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post

The iMac screen does not accept video from an alternative source. This means you can use it as a second monitor for a laptop. I often have to use a PC laptop and my Mac Mini arrangement, with an external monitor (with VGA, Digital and HDMI), means I can switch between the different computers connect at the press of a switch.
            If you buy they new 27" iMac (which is a thing of beauty and enormous screen real-estate) then you can use it as a monitor. The smaller one doesn't do that yet.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
              I have found the following on dell.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busi...bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

and this one for Mac

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iMac-24inch-...680863&sr=8-27

Comments really welcome....
              A word to the wise, don't shop on Amazon for Apple computers:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzNjA

Even if you decide to put windows on it, the cheaper 27" iMac is still a better deal than the dell.
              Last edited by Moscow Mule; 5 January 2010, 09:26.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                If you buy they new 27" iMac (which is a thing of beauty and enormous screen real-estate) then you can use it as a monitor. The smaller one doesn't do that yet.
                Ok, I wasn't aware of that. The 27" wasn't available when I last looked into this.

Comment

why buy brand spankers?

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MTM3NTA4Mzk
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I have been buying Mac for a good 15 years or so now and I would say buy from a local Apple reseller. Do not buy from the Apple Store!

I had a horror with the Apple Store 10 years again. They supplied the wrong spec machine but were not willing to supply a new one until the original had been returned and checked. I was expected to buy the second one before getting the refund on the first.

A local, reputable Apple reseller has a reputation to maintain and is accessible. Prices are usually no different either.

Comment

Working...
                    X