• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

msqldump and version control systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msqldump and version control systems

The aim:

During development I want to dump MySQL tables in a format suitable for input to a version control system (Thanks Nick).

Plain mysqldump outputs all the data on one line, and there will be changes to the table structure along the way as well, so I am thinking that what I want is:
    • a dump of the table structure
    • a dump of the data with one line per record

To be honest, before we even talk about version control, being able to do a diff at the (bash) command line would be rather useful.

I came across this blog entry, but it relates to MySQL 4.n and I'm now on 5.1.42.

I have a FreeBSD web server and OS X as a client (also with MySQL) to go at.

As a sanity check, am I going in the right direction here?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but have you tried the...

Code:
    --skip-extended-insert
    ...option to insert one row per line?

The table structure should sit on multiple lines by default - if not you might want to look at the format of carriage returns/line feeds within the dump file to see if they match the format used by your client.

Comment

--extended-insert=false will put each record into a separate INSERT.

EDIT: or wot chicane said

Comment

Thanks ya'll.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You can dump table structure and table data to separate files (-d and -t). Might be worth dumping each table to separate files with -T. Don't forget stored procedures, triggers etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            The aim:

During development I want to dump MySQL tables in a format suitable for input to a version control system (Thanks Nick).

Plain mysqldump outputs all the data on one line, and there will be changes to the table structure along the way as well, so I am thinking that what I want is:
            • a dump of the table structure
            • a dump of the data with one line per record

To be honest, before we even talk about version control, being able to do a diff at the (bash) command line would be rather useful.

I came across this blog entry, but it relates to MySQL 4.n and I'm now on 5.1.42.

I have a FreeBSD web server and OS X as a client (also with MySQL) to go at.

As a sanity check, am I going in the right direction here?
            I have a bash script that extracts all the tables and tarballs them up. PM me I'll send it to you. Might be some stuff of use to pick the bones out of.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X