• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET socket, how to detect client has read

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET socket, how to detect client has read

I have a thread which has a TcpClient. I am trying to write to it in - effectively - message mode.

I can write data to the client quite happily, but I can't figure out any way of making sure the client end has actually read the data. Any suggestions ? I'm trying to avoid sending an Ack back. Also want to keep the other end interface simple.

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I'm trying to avoid sending an Ack back.
    If you don't get Ack back then it's not reliable: tell the client how many bytes they need to expect to get, write that many bytes - wait for Ack.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      If you don't get Ack back then it's not reliable: tell the client how many bytes they need to expect to get, write that many bytes - wait for Ack.

Simples.
      Yep, think I've got to do something like that. Poxy message framing

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Yep, think I've got to do something like that. Poxy message framing
        You are always trying to do something that goes against common practice, and that's my job!

If you are paranoid (as you should be with communications) add CRC32 to message blocks...

Comment

Wh nds TCP whn y'v gt UDP. S y lse a fw pckts hr nd thr. Wh crs?
          Last edited by lightng; 9 March 2010, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
            Are you posting from an iPhone?

Comment

Were you playing scrabble last night and needed a few extra tiles?

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

UDP. S y lse Wh nds TCP whn y'vpckts hr nd thr gt a fw pckts hr nd thr. Wh

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    UDP. S y lse Wh nds TCP whn y'vpckts hr nd thr gt a fw pckts hr nd thr. Wh
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X