• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missing Visual Studio 'Empty Web' project type

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Visual Studio 'Empty Web' project type

As the title says, i need to create a project of type 'VB Empty Web Project' but as i'm using the Standard version from the Action Pack it doesn't have this template included

Looks like my VB web templates are under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VisualBasic\Web\1 033 and seem to be zip files.

Anyone know where (or if) i can download the VB empty web one?

Ta.

Not that it helps much, but my VS2008 Team System (i.e. the full monty version) contains no such thing either.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Not that it helps much, but my VS2008 Team System (i.e. the full monty version) contains no such thing either.
      Bizarre, i'll have to check my clientCo VS2005 instance tomorrow.

I've got 'Empty Project' under Visual Basic --> Windows, but what i've read suggests there should be an Visual Basic --> Web --> 'Empty Web Project'.

Ah well, i've just created a Web App project and deleted all the crud and references.

(Ta for checking anyway!)

Comment

Doh!

Its there but under File --> 'New Web Site' rather than 'New Project'

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Doh!

Its there but under File --> 'New Web Site' rather than 'New Project'
          I was about to say but you replied.

Be very afraid of doing New Project -> Website because you get a website application rather than a straight website, which has serious implications for Edit & Continue etc, precompilation, etc.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
            I was about to say but you replied.

Be very afraid of doing New Project -> Website because you get a website application rather than a straight website, which has serious implications for Edit & Continue etc, precompilation, etc.
            I suppose that depends on your coding style and the projects you work on; personally I prefer it that way. There are a lot of benefits in using that project type over a "WebSite".

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
              I suppose that depends on your coding style and the projects you work on; personally I prefer it that way. There are a lot of benefits in using that project type over a "WebSite".
              There are pros and cons of each.

I've never been able to get Edit & Continue working with Web Applications - even with the appropriate boxes ticked in prefs - this can have serious impact on development time, since if you're 5 pages into a formset and you have to restart the app in order to test some minor fix, that's a complete pain. Also if you want to do point releases (singe files) this won't work with precompiled assemblies (unless you do by-page assemblies)

At the same time, Web apps ahve their advantages - default Namespaces, deployment projects etc.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Yeah, never understood why they ended up with the Web Site vs Web Application templates.

I 'generally' use the Web Site template for web apps but this causes issues if using something like VisualSVN which (or used to) 'partially' supports the Web Site model but supports the Web App model ok.

Comment

Working...
                X