• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell Alienware laptop range, any experience/views?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Alienware laptop range, any experience/views?

It's time I updated my laptop.
    Currently running a ten year old Inspiron.
    I was looking at the Alienware 17 inch jobbies from Dell.
    Anyone any good/bad experiences?

I have had an Alienware for the past 3 and a bit years and although initially I was quite happy cracks started to appear quicker than I expected. The CPU fan finally gave out yesterday and I won't be buying another one, I'm currently looking at this as a potential replacement:

HP TM2-1010ea early review: Table to tablet in a touchscreen twist - Crave at CNET UK

Comment

The precisions from Dell are worth having a look at... they are very well built and highly speced. Had mine just under 3 years and it's still running sweet, although it might be time to get a bigger hard drive for it.
      Only downside is that the graphics card is more aimed at CAD than games which puts a stop to playing any of the newer games in the evenings.

One thing which seems to be forgotten is the importance of decent hardware support. I've had to deal with Dell twice. Once after a keyboard + liquid accident and another time when my laptop suffered some heat damage (self inflicted). Both times parts were replaced without any hassle, second time the mother board and graphics card being replaced by one of their engineers whilst I grabbed some lunch.
      IMO The ability to get someone on site within 24hours to fix any hardware issues makes me reluctant to get anything other than a Dell
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

My son's girlfriend had an alienware laptop, which died within a couple of weeks, and had to be returned to be repaired. She never got it back from them despite various promises. This went on for months of hassle with constant emails and phone calls, and eventually she was given a refund.

I am on my second Lenovo, and don't know what their support is like because I have never (yet) had to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          The precisions from Dell are worth having a look at... they are very well built and highly speced. Had mine just under 3 years and it's still running sweet, although it might be time to get a bigger hard drive for it.
          Only downside is that the graphics card is more aimed at CAD than games which puts a stop to playing any of the newer games in the evenings.

One thing which seems to be forgotten is the importance of decent hardware support. I've had to deal with Dell twice. Once after a keyboard + liquid accident and another time when my laptop suffered some heat damage (self inflicted). Both times parts were replaced without any hassle, second time the mother board and graphics card being replaced by one of their engineers whilst I grabbed some lunch.
          IMO The ability to get someone on site within 24hours to fix any hardware issues makes me reluctant to get anything other than a Dell
          WHS, I got my Dell Precision M4400 Core2Duo Extreme after Spaceman recommended them so much. Glad I did, completely hassle free, I've had no issues with it at all.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Alienware laptops always struck me as huge heavy behemoths. Add that to their reputation for breaking, I'd be reluctant to get one.

The dell laptops at clientco seem to keep on going - I had a hardrive failure two months ago, it was 7 years old.

If you want shiny, get one of the new mac pros & dual boot it (very easy). They are also very sturdy, being milled from a single block of aluminium.

If bang for buck was my key criteria, I think I'd go for the Lenovo range.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My view is Alienware is for laptop gaming types and a bit overpriced with the 'alien' design. I've never owned one, just an opinion formed on seeing a few around and some of the kids who have bought one.

Personally I use a Dell XPS 1330. Don't think they sell them anymore and the screen is probably too small for you(as it is for me when coding), but I would recommmend the XPS range over the Alienware gaming orientated machines.

Best laptops I have owned have been Dell machines. First one had a few issues over the 3 years I had it but was easy to fix under warranty - they mailed me the parts and I fitted (2 keyboards and one hard disk). Saved me from sending it to them and potentially losing my machine for 4-5 weeks as was the case with the Compaq I owned years ago.

Comment

Bought my first ever laptop in Feb, a Dell Studio 1555. They're not shown in Dell's business laptop page but one call to them managed to sort it out so I could purchase through the company cost was about 420 notes all in - I like the bit where you can configure it as well (hardware, not the lid colour )

Used for 3/4 months now and very happy with it, upgraded wireless card is excellent feel like I have proper broadband now.

Wish I'd gotten the backlit keyboard though.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Alienware laptops always struck me as huge heavy behemoths. Add that to their reputation for breaking, I'd be reluctant to get one.

The dell laptops at clientco seem to keep on going - I had a hardrive failure two months ago, it was 7 years old.
                  Difference between consumer and business/professional hardware.
                  Dell's are great if you've got the cash and want something serious for work
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                    It's time I updated my laptop.
                    Currently running a ten year old Inspiron.
                    I was looking at the Alienware 17 inch jobbies from Dell.
                    Anyone any good/bad experiences?
                    I've had a Dell XPS M1730, and a Dell XPS 1330 for 2.5 years now.

The 1730 is the Alien equivalent and is a main workhorse, desktop replacement laptop, i.e heavy, hot and cumbersome, but works well, database server etc... Gets moved around when it has to.

The 1330 is a quite powerful but very mobile laptop.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X