• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the C++ plunge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the C++ plunge

Since my contract is unlikely to be renewed in August and the RPG / Midas prospects are looking bleak, I've decided to re-skill in another banking package (Summit).

This necessitates me learning C++.

I did a bit of C at uni (12 years ago), but nothing since. I'm currently an AS400/system i developer so don't know a massive amount about OO programming but how hard can it be - right?

Can anybody recommend:

1) an online tutorial to get me started (google found this linky - any good?)
    2) some books for further learning
    3) development tools I might find handy

TIA
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Since my contract is unlikely to be renewed in August and the RPG / Midas prospects are looking bleak, I've decided to re-skill in another banking package (Summit).

I did a bit of C at uni (12 years ago), but nothing since. I'm currently an AS400/system i developer so don't know a massive amount about OO programming but how hard can it be - right?

Can anybody recommend:

1) an online tutorial to get me started (google found this linky - any good?)
    2) some books for further learning
    3) development tools I might find handy

TIA
    The tutorial is quite good.

I'd also recommend "C++ Black Book" - it's a Coriolis book ISBN 1-57610-777-9

Also you might want to download Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition if you don't as yet have a C++ compiler.

C++ is a language that will enable you to use Object Orientation - try looking at Object Oriented Programming tutorials too.

MFC might be better than initially diving straight into learning the .NET framework.

Good luck.

Comment

.net is much easer to pick up than Visual C++ as far as user interfaces go. Various ways of doing things in C++ and all they have in common is that none of them makes any rational sense.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You are 10 years late mate - it's all .NET nowadays, try VB.NET first - I have this feeling you'll be up to the challenge.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You are 10 years late mate - it's all .NET nowadays, try VB.NET first - I have this feeling you'll be up to the challenge.
          Making recursive calls might be a neat academical concept, but the reality is that function calls are expensive on x86-64 architectures (not cheap on others also), forcing programmer to do so for primitive things that can be done in a nice tight loop that can be loaded fully into processor caches is insane performance wise - you'd need 10 or 100 times more cores to achieve same performance I can do on 1 with a proper language that translates well into hardware architecture.
          So we can conclude that AtW recommends abstractions (like .NET) to others, whilst deriding them as worthless for his own purposes

He probably doesn't even realise that .NET is written in C++

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            So we can conclude that AtW recommends abstractions (like .NET) to others, whilst deriding them as worthless for his own purposes

He probably doesn't even realise that .NET is written in C++
            May I refer you to the following sage piece of advice...
            |
            |
            |
            |
            V

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Also you might want to download Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition if you don't as yet have a C++ compiler.
              FTFY
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                FTFY
                Good point, well made.

Comment

Good luck.
                  I'm pretty sure the app is written in C++ so I think I'll steer clear of your recommendation for now...

Thanks anyway.

Edit: and thanks for the useful replies too!
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm pretty sure the app is written in C++ so I think I'll steer clear of your recommendation for now...

Thanks anyway.

Edit: and thanks for the useful replies too!
                    I also suggest that you do a "C" refresher of some sort...

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X