• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptop for Child

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, as d00hg says, you may need to call MS.

Saw this deal posted on HUKD.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      Next question :
      The current laptop has valid office 2007 professional on, multi license (3 I think).

Can I un-install from old lappy and just bang it on the new one ? Or is the license tied to the machine ?
      Worst that will happen is that it will pop up a dialogue box with a phone number and instructions on what to do. The whole thing is automated, you wont talk to a real person.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Yeah, as d00hg says, you may need to call MS.

Saw this deal posted on HUKD.
        Its just strayed over the £400 barrier. Tesco Direct have a Lenovo G555 with 3G RAM for ~ £359.00 plus 3% quidco cashback and double clubcard points.

I'm leaning towards this at the mo

Comment

Cheers,

I can't see office pro @ pugh for £33, more like £44 ?
          Sorry yes £33 is the Win7 Pro price.

Comment

I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 1545 from tesco, 3G Ram bluetooth, webcam etc ... Should have been £379 but I got nephew to get it for me using staff discount so all in it came to £342.
            The "bonus" is that its pink !

Comment

I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 1545 from tesco, 3G Ram bluetooth, webcam etc ... Should have been £379 but I got nephew to get it for me using staff discount so all in it came to £342.
              I bought this for my 11-yo daughter for her birthday last week. Got home, realised it was single core and went back to swap it for the dual-core machine. £70 more but if I was going to spend £370, what's another £70 (equivalent to the time spent doing a couple of dumps at ClientCo).

Also in pink!!!

I think it was worth going for the dual-core as she likes to edit home movies taken with her HD camcorder and then burn them to DVD. Okay, it's not a professional standard laptop, but it matches the requirement, and gets her off my desktop...
              Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
                I bought this for my 11-yo daughter for her birthday last week. Got home, realised it was single core and went back to swap it for the dual-core machine. £70 more but if I was going to spend £370, what's another £70 (equivalent to the time spent doing a couple of dumps at ClientCo).

Also in pink!!!

I think it was worth going for the dual-core as she likes to edit home movies taken with her HD camcorder and then burn them to DVD. Okay, it's not a professional standard laptop, but it matches the requirement, and gets her off my desktop...
                Like this one?

Also, in Red.
                Last edited by Clippy; 6 October 2010, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post

Also in pink!!!

Dohhh I forgot to see if it was dual core. Still the extra would have taken the overall cost > £400 which was the upper limit.

I'd personally buy her a netbook but her words "They are way toooooo small"

I'm sure it will do the job, its only for home work, facebook, msn and music.

I didn't want to go down the pink route but I got rail roaded by the wife. I'd have gone with the lenova mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                  X