• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad App Distribution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Android would be a better platform for my intentions if there was a tablet as good as the iPad (maybe there is but I'm not aware). Also happens the potential customer for this already has a lot of iPads so it's not really on.

Anyone done anything with Appcelerator Titanium? This allows you to use the same codebase for iPhone/iPad and Android and no need to get my head around Objective C.

It still doesn't solve the problem of signing the app etc. Just looked at a Video on the Appcelerator site for how to do this. Talk about convoluted!

Nick's (ISO Developer Enterprise Program) solution seems the only one that does what I need. Another $299 a year tho
    Appcelerator works fairly well. There are similar C# based tools but I'm not sure about all the details relating to those.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Appcelerator works fairly well. There are similar C# based tools but I'm not sure about all the details relating to those.
      Thank for the input eek.

I think I'll download and have a play with Titanium tomorrow. I'd prefer to code C# over Javascript but Titanium does seem to be very well regarded. Also, my partners in this venture don't really know C#, so I'd end up doing most of the boring bits.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Main Page - MonoTouch from Novell is pretty good if you want to stick with C-sharp. I started off using that but then decided to swap over to doing the app native via XCode in the end and am glad i did as quite enjoy using it now.

$299/year isn't really much in the grand scheme of things if you are rolling out to 200 devices.
        Last edited by Durbs; 23 November 2010, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Main Page - MonoTouch from Novell is pretty good if you want to stick with C-sharp. I started off using that but then decided to swap over to doing the app native via XCode in the end and am glad i did as quite enjoy using it now.

$299/year isn't really much in the grand scheme of things if you are rolling out to 200 devices.
          Interesting Durbs.

I dunno though. .NET on an iPad seems like the wrong fit to me.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's right.

I think if the proposed app goes beyond demo stage I might consider the XCode Objective C route.

Yes. The $299 is somewhat incidental. However, the client would have to purchase as I don't have a Dun & Bradstreet number! Can you beleive it. It is a requirement of this program to have a DUNS number. Apple just love putting this kind of crap in your way.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I dunno though. .NET on an iPad seems like the wrong fit to me.
            True, I found that even though its billled as .NET, I still needed to know how an iPhone app was put together and how to use Interface Builder etc so in the end just thought I may as well learn a little more and do it "properly".

I'm a .NET dev, mainly VB but didn't really find getting into Obj-C that difficult. Languages are all much of a muchness really so it was mainly learning the IDE that was the big step.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              True, I found that even though its billled as .NET, I still needed to know how an iPhone app was put together and how to use Interface Builder etc so in the end just thought I may as well learn a little more and do it "properly".

I'm a .NET dev, mainly VB but didn't really find getting into Obj-C that difficult. Languages are all much of a muchness really so it was mainly learning the IDE that was the big step.
              I know C pretty thoroughly and Objective C (as I understand it) is just C with Smalltalk messaging knobs on, so shouldn't be an insurmountable challenge. However, time is of the essence and I think we're going to have to go down the quick, cheap and chearful route for V0.1 and if it goes anywhere, do it over properly.

Latest word from my collaborators is that it must be an iPad app and will only ever be an iPad app, from the prospect client's point of view.

Comment

I know C pretty thoroughly and Objective C (as I understand it) is just C with Smalltalk messaging knobs on, so shouldn't be an insurmountable challenge. However, time is of the essence and I think we're going to have to go down the quick, cheap and chearful route for V0.1 and if it goes anywhere, do it over properly.

Latest word from my collaborators is that it must be an iPad app and will only ever be an iPad app, from the prospect client's point of view.
                Use Titanium for prototyping then. One advantage is that a port to an android based pad would not be that painful. (You can always move over to objective C for the final version, if Titanium doesn't work out).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't see why using .net on iPad is somehow 'wrong'. Mono is fairly well-established.

Anyhow, if they insist on iPad that might make it easier although do you definitely believe them? But learning a new technology isn't good for the "do it fast" route so a web-based approach certainly sounds preferable, you can make iOS-specific HTML apps too as a bit of an in-between approach, IIRC.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not sure why you didn't use search as there an exact same thread a few weeks ago.
                    Anyway the routes are:
                    1. Enterprise program (costs $$$)
                    2. Webapp
                    3. Normal app with a login

No one's described 3 - for an example download google app - it's free on the app store, available to anyone, but useless without a google account
                    If your app is decent it should pass the store guidelines without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X