• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email Client Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Client Recommendations

Just bought a new Laptop which has Office 2010.

As Office no longer includes Outlook what email client do people use?

My ISP (Virgin) has a web interface, but I don't like it.

I do have Office 2003, so can get Outlook from there.

Any recommendations?

I switched (from Turnpike) to ThunderBird as an experiment a couple or 3 years ago and haven't seen any reason to switch to anything else.

How important is the Outlook scheduling functionality to you? (I don't use it, I use Lotus Organizer for that.) If you want tight meeting invitation tracking AND scheduling combined, I don't think ThunderBird is the right solution for you.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Bad luck.. I use Outlook 2010 which came with Office 2010

My LTD subscribes to the Microsoft Action pack, so (I think) I have Office 2010 pro which includes Outlook.

Comment

They really took Outlook out? Seems a weird choice. Do you still get Express?

Personally I think the gmail web-client is really very solid these days. I've not seen a desktop mail client that was any good if you're used to Outlook.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I use both Thunderbird and Outlook and its pretty equal. I have heard good things about evolution but haven't tried it myself. thunderbird has an add-on called Lightening as a calendar - but it doesn't seem to accept iCal files directly. Which is a problem if you are receiving invites.
          Give Evolution a try.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Not tried it in the last couple of years, but there is also Zimbra Desktop which hooks onto exchange etc.

Comment

I use Thunderbird. I wouldn't say that I like it, but I haven't found anything that's less bad.

The GMail web client does seem pretty good. I like the idea of having offline copies though.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                They really took Outlook out? Seems a weird choice. Do you still get Express?
                I think that MS want you to use Windows Live Essentials.

No thanks.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Personally I think the gmail web-client is really very solid these days. I've not seen a desktop mail client that was any good if you're used to Outlook.
                The good Windows ones I found a decade or more ago seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yes, Thunderbird with the calendar add on works fine for me, but I do not know how it behaves when handling meeting invites and stuff from Outlook.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The sad fact is that all mail clients feel like 2nd best if you have used Outlook.

I use Thunderbird on Mac, its 'ok' and Windows Mail (that you'll get from Essentials) on Win 7/Vista, again, its 'ok', but not as good as Outlook Express that it replaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X