• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Batch Job/Flow Dependency Diagram

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch Job/Flow Dependency Diagram

I'm looking for any ideas that would help how we can document batch jobs and flow dependencies.

We're currently using MS Project to list all batch jobs and their dependencies within flows. Flows will have dependencies on other flows (as well as time and external file triggers).

I'm using LSF to build the flows themselves, but MS Project is better for documenting the dependencies, adding the duration of each job and then displaying expected start and end times.

Problem is, this approach requires everyone in the team to have MS Project and there aren't enough licenses to go round.

I'm therefore looking for suggestions of other tools that may do this sort of thing (and, let's face it, using MS Project for this type of thing is a bit of an overkill).

TIA...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

there must be a UML model for this!

Seriously though, modelling this in Visio and importing to word or saving as a pdf should be relatively easy.
    You can use a TimeLine shape to give a sense of time to the flowchart showing where the time triggers are
    File or other triggers can be modelled with a connector adding notes as required
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Try http://www.plantuml.com

Comment

Took 2 minutes to knock up an example in visio:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1630056/visio-flow.pdf
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          there must be a UML model for this!

Seriously though, modelling this in Visio and importing to word or saving as a pdf should be relatively easy.
          You can use a TimeLine shape to give a sense of time to the flowchart showing where the time triggers are
          File or other triggers can be modelled with a connector adding notes as required
          Client is in the same situation with Visio as they are with Project. I hadn't looked at Visio though, so will give it a whirl later....

Comment

A quick google could find you an online tool. If you're looking for something basic it could do the trick.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              A quick google could find you an online tool. If you're looking for something basic it could do the trick.
              You're right, but I was hoping maybe someone could suggest something they had used and could recommend.

After a bit of Googling, I've found:
              Download GanttProject and
              Download OpenProj - Project Management from SourceForge.net

After a few minutes playing around, both look like they could do the job, are free and opensource. OpenProj may be the winner out of the two, but happy to lean towards recommendations...

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
                Client is in the same situation with Visio as they are with Project. I hadn't looked at Visio though, so will give it a whirl later....
                I am not surprised.

Viso Standard 2010 - £229.99
                Visio Pro 2010 - £499.99
                Visio Premium 2010 - £899.99

To think that before MS got their hands on it, I could have bought it for relative peanuts... (though that version almost certainly wouldn't work with current OS releases).
                Last edited by Sysman; 4 February 2011, 16:02.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X