• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Source control Oracle solution?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why? Personally I would ask why they weren't planning to use a distributed repository such as Git, Mercurial or bitbucket.
    The current team I work with wanted to use a distributed repository but I've kept them with Subversion. When I drilled down to the reasons for them wanting a distributed repository it was because they wanted to work as individuals and not as a team. They wanted to keep their code to themselves locally and not share it until the last minute and then complain when it didn't merge well. As with any tool you need to find out why people want to use it. It is better to fix the process (and people) rather than change the toolset to promote bad practice.

I don't think there is any need for distributed repositories unless you are going somewhere so remote you have no network connection - maybe during a long flight.

Comment

Working...
    X