• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Source control Oracle solution?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source control Oracle solution?

Ahoy,

Im currently working on an Oracle 11i ERP solution, we currently use subversion for source control/code (linear development only) and manual spreadsheet process for change & release management workflow, the organisation is maturing and looking to invest (soon to be implementing R12 and UCM technologies)

for source control/ auto deployment looking at
    CA SCM (previously known as harvest)
    IBM Rational Team Concert

Also been suggested we keep Subversion but this has been poopood by the boys upstairs as open source tech not "mature enough" for a big org?

any experience/ideas of source control tools for Oracle ERP greatly received?

Thanks

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
    Ahoy,

Im currently working on an Oracle 11i ERP solution, we currently use subversion for source control/code (linear development only) and manual spreadsheet process for change & release management workflow, the organisation is maturing and looking to invest (soon to be implementing R12 and UCM technologies)

Also been suggested we keep Subversion but this has been poopood by the boys upstairs as open source tech not "mature enough" for a big org?

Thanks
    We use "Dimensions CM"

It's Ok once you know what you're doing.

Comment

ROFL

Most places use one of the following:

Subversion (subversion.tigris.org)
      Mercurial (Mercurial SCM)
      Git (Git - Fast Version Control System)

They are all open source

You could always got for VSS from MS if you prefer to pay for something, I hear that's a wonderful system...

In all seriousness there are lots of them knocking about but saying SVN is not good enough because it's open source is probably the most stupid thing I have heard today. Not good enough because branching is an arse maybe, or merging stuff in loses the history for the stuff you merged in, but simply because it is open source... Tell them they are a clueless bunch of feckers.

Comment

Ahoy,

Thanks
        Stick with Subversion for source control, and integrate with Atlassian JIRA issue/defect/project management for implementing a complete release,change, configuration management workflow process etc. Use Apache Ant for compiling and packaging and CruiseControl for continuous integration. You only pay for JIRA £10 to £4,500 max depending on users, the rest is free. Using that toolset I coped as Release/Configuration/Build Manager on my own for 73 remote software projects that were built in .net, Java, BPEL, Oracle. As for calling Subversion immature it has been around longer than most other source control and outlasted IBM Rational Cleacase which is way to expensive and starting to disappear. Subversion like most open source is actually backed by a fairly large corporate, who make money by giving it away then offering support and docs. I guess the boys upstairs aren't savvy enough to understand the open source business model and maybe explaining that would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          ROFL

Most places use one of the following:

Subversion (subversion.tigris.org)
          Mercurial (Mercurial SCM)
          Git (Git - Fast Version Control System)

They are all open source

You could always got for VSS from MS if you prefer to pay for something, I hear that's a wonderful system...

In all seriousness there are lots of them knocking about but saying SVN is not good enough because it's open source is probably the most stupid thing I have heard today. Not good enough because branching is an arse maybe, or merging stuff in loses the history for the stuff you merged in, but simply because it is open source... Tell them they are a clueless bunch of feckers.
          WHS

The only proprietary source control I've ever heard of people using is Perforce, but most use SVN or Git.

Comment

I'd be more concerned about how you are keeping any source control and deployment mechanism in check for functional configuration.

Any decent tool can look after your codebase, it's the manual stuff that will cause you problems going forward, particularly if there are many releases and the configuration changes regularly.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              WHS

The only proprietary source control I've ever heard of people using is Perforce, but most use SVN or Git.
              I have used a few

PVCS, Star Team and <screamsInTerror>Clearcase</screamsInTerror>.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I have used a few

PVCS, Star Team and <screamsInTerror>UNClearcase</screamsInTerror>.
                Ah yes unClearcase I remember writing automated build scripts to interface with it. Very un-documented command line for Clearcase and it took about 50 lines of code just to download the source code. In Subversion it took only one line of code - and it was documented. Fine for a developer using the menu but you don't have that luxury from build scripts.

Comment

I think I have used all the main ones, CVS, PVCS, VSS, Clearcase, Star Team, SVN and a couple more I cannot remember the names of.

If anyone picking a repository now did not use SVN I would question their ability to choose rationally.

I used IBM Rational Team Concert on my last gig and it was a pile of foaming crap. Seriously, someone with a suit thinks it is great and the developers have to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

If anyone picking a repository now did not use SVN I would question their ability to choose rationally.
                    Why? Personally I would ask why they weren't planning to use a distributed repository such as Git, Mercurial or bitbucket.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X